Sign in to follow this  
Gammastrahler

Winsock question

Gammastrahler    150
Hi, i have coded a simple server and client application. Here is my problem: at work, i have a LAN with some client PC´s which share their internet connection via a router. On one of these clients, my client app is running. At home, i have connected my pc to the internet, and there my server app is running. I can connect to the server from the client app. But the opposite is not possible, i can´t connect to my pc at work which resides in a LAN. I think the problem is the LAN, since there are more routings. How can i make it work? I Would really appreciate any suggestions and advises. thanks in advance, Gammastrahler

stein    164
There's most likely a firewall at your work, preventing you from connecting from the outside... Probably not much to abot that.

SiCrane    11839
It's also possible that your router is using NAT. In that case you'll probably need to get your network administrator to enable port forwarding for your application, and then make sure you're passing the right (external) IP address to the application on your PC at home.

Also, if there is a firewall, your best bet is, again, to talk to your network administrator.