Sign in to follow this  
SpreeTree

[web] Learning Flash MX 2004

I have to look into learning Flash MX 2004 for work, and I am wondering if anyone has any book suggestions? I am leaning towards the Dummy's Guide, simply because I have used those books before and found them very managable. I do have a full copy of Studio MX 2004, so if the book doesnt come with a cd that is not a problem. Thanks in advance Spree

I myself am a fan of the "Bible" Series

I bought the Flash 2004 (not MX) version of Macromedia Studio and learned it preaty quickly with the Bible book going through the tutorials. It's also an awesome reference book, as it has practically evertything in it.

Just note that Flash MX 2004 has some bugs in it still, I have noticed that stuff that works in regular Flash (not MX) does not work when I upgraded to MX myself. Uisally is had to deal with the whole _root, _parent directory structure that Flash uses.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Roach

It's pretty easy to learn by yourself. If you have general knowledge with animation, you'll do well. They also provide a nice suite of tutorials and demo projects for you with the release.

Quote:
Original post by Starboy
Advanced Actionscripting, Learning from the Source (I think is the title.)

Good book.
I read through that, and it seemed good! But I still didn't know how to do the basic things, unfortunately. I could just move and control them once they were there.

Try going here They have some good stuff that has helped me in my quest to master Flash.

I still reccomend getting the Flash MX 2004 Bible as well, it teaches the basics (Tools, drawing basics) as well as action scripting.

Roach

Flash MX 2004 is the latest version that Macromedia put out. They tried to make it more "developer" friendly than the older versions Flash MX (I misspoke when I mentioned Flash 2004 - it was actually Flash MX that I was refering too).

Flash MX 2004 is a little harder to learn than the older versions (they took some stuff out).

Roach