Sign in to follow this  
dooz

Visual Studio 7.1 creating "zombie" processes..

dooz    271
I've been using VC 7.1 for ages without problems, but all of a sudden it began exhibiting some very annoying behavoir. About 5% of the time when I press F5 to launch my app under the debugger, a "zombie" process is created instead. The debugger shows that it is running, and the app shows up as a process in task manager, but it doesn't do anything. No debug output is generated at all (not even the "loading dll bla bla" stuff), and there is no way to kill the process short of shutting down VC (I've tried, shift-F5, using task manager, using sysinternals process thing). Because the .exe is running, I can't compile a new .exe either, so I have to shut down VC.. The problem also persisted after I had re-installed Windows (XP) on a new HD, with a new CPU.. Has anyone else experienced this? Or better yet, solved it? :) Cheers, Magnus

Dim_Yimma_H    557
I had a similar problem with VC 6.0, it either compiled or linked for an eternity, sometimes it worked without problems and sometimes it wouldn't even work after several restarts of the program.

Then I installed a newer Service Pack for VC and now it works perfect!

\Jimmy H

dooz    271
Ok, so I've got a temporary hack that seems to solve the problem.

I noticted that using F10 (Debug/Step Over), the app starts normally, so I just recorded a macro that starts the app using Debug/Step Over, followed by Debug/Continue, and mapped this to the F5-key.