Related to GUIs in game

Started by
5 comments, last by tunmagochi 19 years, 5 months ago
I wonder that how the game programmers create the GUIs in game like a textfield, button, and so on. Are they created in their game by coding in generic template, then call inside their code, or just create the image holding entire GUIs that they want to create? Since I think that most games doesn't contain a lot of this kind of GUIs, except button that might need a lot. But I believe that to program all these generic templates would probably take too much time and may not be the preferable method. How do you think? Umm... or I may misunderstand something.
Advertisement
It can really be done either way, mostly depending on your game and your needs but either way is quite time consuming. GUI programming takes a while and while not extremely hard is usually not very fun well some may think it is. If you were looking into making a game I'd recommend looking into gui APIs unless you really want to make one yourself.
To do a full-fledged GUI (one with text edit fields, combo boxes, tabbed windows etc.) from scratch is a lot of tedious work. If you do one, make sure that it is good enough to be used for multiple games or you will be hating life.
Understand that GUI APIs have their owned graphic. However, in the game, if I need my button, my frame, my combo box to have my owned background color or have some decoration on its border. Is there any APIs that I can decorate these myself? I mean .. may be it may allow me to change the picture of the border or somehow to make it get alone well with my game.
You could take a look at Crazy Eddies GUI, crayzedsgui.sourceforge.net

He's on a couple week break, so he is not around the forums, but there are others there. A simple example GUI app demo using cegui is this video app I made.
There are rather a lot of generic GUI libraries linked from the SDL homepage.

And despite what people are saying above, and although writnig a fully fledged GUI is a lot of work, writing something for handling Buttons, Text and the occasional bit of decoration is dead easy, and if the look and feel of your GUI is important to your game, probably worth it.
Thks lot for every answers. That're great help. Thks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement