Sign in to follow this  
rpgdeveloper

Baldur's Gate Engine

rpgdeveloper    110
What is the name of the Baldur's Gate engine? Is there are free/opensource engine similar to the engine? Also, how hard would it be to make an engine like the Baldur's Gate engine? It looks pretty simple with unique features.

rpgdeveloper    110
I actually just found a sourceforge project, called hack and slash. It's a neat engine. I am going to mess around with it. Let me know if anyone see's something cooler/better.

tentoid    364
The Baldur's gate engine is called the "Infinity Engine". There are a few open source clones, here's one of them: http://binf.sourceforge.net/

tentoid    364
Quote:
Original post by rpgdeveloper
I dont have Linux anymore, thanks though.

Too bad for you. Anyway, the engine I posted works in Windows..

Saruman    4339
Quote:
Original post by Rebooted
Baldur's Gate II is probably my favourite game ever. Good luck if your trying to make a similar game.

That link I gave has a working copy of the infinity engine (with source obviously) that can boot Baldurs Gate, Baldurs Gate 2, Icewind Dale, and Planescape Torment. Check it out :)

Seriema    634
I'm interested in this as well. I checked BINF and here's a quote:
Quote:

Beyond Infinty was a replacement for the Infinity Engine (used in Baldur's Gate etc..) now it is dead for quite long time.... (use Gemrb instead of it) I only leave the sourcecodes for historical reasons.

tentoid    364
GemRB seems quite cool. I wonder if it'll run IWD2 (currently playing it). It's annoying to boot to Windows just to play it. I could also try running it with Wine.

Anyway, if you want to do a BG-like game then perhaps it would be a good idea to mod the GemRB engine? I remember there are some editors for the infinity engine so you might use them. http://www.forgottenwars.net/

tentoid    364
Trying to make a commercial quality RPG as vast as, for example, Baldurs's Gate 2 and with graphics like that is probably hard without money.

But you can do an RPG with simpler graphics etc. by yourself. You just need time and motivation.