Galaga type enemy AI

Started by
4 comments, last by MarcusLM 19 years, 5 months ago
I am wanting to develop a relativley simplistic galage style game. I have started many games in the past, but never finished any of them. I think it is important to finish one. So I am backing up doing something simple. I have been thinking about the enemy AI and I was wondering how the enemy flight patterns are stored and executed in a game like Galaga. Any help appreciated. Especially if someone knows where I can find the source to a Galaga type clone. Thanks!! Marcus
Advertisement
I haven't played galaga in a while, but it seems to me that you could probably express the motion of most if not all of the flight patterns as parametric equations. When creating an enemy craft associate it with a set of equations and probably a couple parameters to the equations as well (frequency, magnitude, etc.). Then just use the equations to trace out the coordinates of the craft.
Here's a link to a previous, similar discussion. It is about Galaxian, but the premise is the same.

-Kirk

Galaxian AI
Thanks for the replies!

I'm kind of embarassed though, that thread KirkD recommended was actually one I started back in February asking the same question. I had no memory of ever posting that before. It had been so long. I do apologize for the repeat.

Marcus
Darn that Alzheimer's! What am I doing here??

-Kirk

Hehe.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement