8 directions for one unit...

Started by
1 comment, last by BiGF00T 19 years, 5 months ago
... but if i am looking from a viewpoint not straight ahead of the unit (lets assume a tank) then i couldn't rotate the image. that would mean that i have to draw 8 pictures of the tank. what is the best way to make them look similar? build a 3d model in a 3d program or out of cardboard and try to draw if from all directions? or could i draw it from above and then stretch it a little in the direction i want it to be stretched and then just add the parts that are seen from the side :/ i'm not sure if i'm asking this in the right forum... maybe this should be in the isometric forum but i guess graphics ppl have to know an answer to this question... if i try to draw them all by hand then one picture always seems to be a little different than the others... am i lacking skill or technique? i can use photoshop at my university so you can suggest everything that i can do with it. i also have teh mspaint here at home ;P and gimp.. crappy mspaintank... worst pictar evar!!11!one <-- mspainted tank to show you what i mean... i cant rotate one tank from above. i have to draw every direction :/
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
Advertisement
That's the problem with 2D. Imagine if you had an animated character with, say, 5 animations (e.g walk, run, die, fire, idle) of 8 frames each. That's a lot of images.
Professional 2D games used to do just that... draw them all.
For a while now the best method is to model the character (i.e. tank) in 3D and then either render it in 2D at the different angles for use in 2D engine or use the model as 3D but set the camera into a 'top-down' perspective.
Until recently 3D model quality hasn't been as good as quality 2D images.
Finally, you can go for the completely overhead view (rather than top-down Zelda perspective). This makes rotation a lot easier but loses a lot of visual appeal.
Good Luck on whatever you decide.
i guess i want it a bit 3d looking...
my decision is to use a 3d modeler and learn enough to make the rough outlines of a model, render it to 2d from different angles and add details with a 2d painting program. this way i won't have problems with the angles of the model. only with the details of it. but i think thats the smaller problem.
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement