Disabling keyboard input in Windows2000

Started by
4 comments, last by Solias 19 years, 5 months ago
This is a very refined 2-part question.... 1. What is the keyboard command/shortcut for disabling keyboard input on Windows 2000? I have done this before, but I forgot what it was exactly, and I can't find a reference to it online. 2. Could this command be emulated using SendMessage in a Win32 environment? I know there are easier and cleaner ways to suppress user input, but I am experimenting with this for now. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Advertisement
Microsoft take a very dim view of this. It even says on MSDN that you are not allowed to distribute Windows apps that block Alt-Tab.

Maybe that's why you couldn't find a reference to it online...?
That's interesting. I actually wasn't going to intercept any Windows messages. I just wanted to send some if it was even workable.

I don't believe the keyboard command was some sort of secret - I just figured it was so rarely used that they didn't bother documenting it(?)
you have to write a low level keyboard driver to intercept messages from the keyboard for win-specific special keys. Or so some registry editing. I know you can not intercept cTRL+ALT+DEL without using a custom GINA or a low level key board driver. Good luck.

- Mike
Disabling the complete keyboard input under Windows is plain "stupid". Why would you disable all keyboard input?

It's pretty hard to do, and as said, you need to rewrite your own complete GINA DLL. I never wrote one, and installing it isn't easy either. I wouldn't bother writing it.

It looks like he's not looking for a programable way to disable the keyboard, at least not in the first question. Rather an actual windows hotkey combination that disables the keyboard, presumably independant of his application. It's possible such a thing exists, but I've never heard of it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement