Sign in to follow this  
DMINATOR

(updated) my first C# game

DMINATOR    240
just finished my first C#.net game. There is nothing special in it, but atleast it is running and i got some understanding what C# wan't from and what i can get it for him. The game lacks some things like double buffer, so don't be scared :) download Here is screen V 1.1 - updated - added double buffer - and other graphic background image [attention] .Net framework is required. [Edited by - DMINATOR on November 16, 2004 2:24:35 AM]

DMINATOR    240
Heh i am glad that you liked it :). It would be interesting to know how much score anyone would get . I got 301 :) beat this if u can.

Enselic    829
Hey that was actually a funny game! Here is my list of improvments I'd like to see.

• Implement double-buffering to avoid the flickering.
  • Put some soul in the artwork and the layout! The game is ten times more fun than it looks!! A well done background for instance would spiff the game up alot.
  • Maybe it is a matter of taste, but I'd prefer the worm not to move when it has reached the cursor.

I think you have managed to balance the game very well. At first it is as easy as a game should be, and you don't have to wait forever for the game to get harder.

TheBluMage    372
As was said before, the artwork and rendering routines could use a little work, but other than that I think it's great, especially for a first try! (You should see some of the images that I slapped into my first games and called art. ;) ) You obviously have a good grasp of the basics and are off to a much better start than a lot of other first-time C# writers. (The first time I wrote a game in C# it was tic-tac-toe! [lol]) The game also seems pretty original; I have seen worm-chasing-stuff games, but I don't think I ever seen one quite like this before. Many praises and pats on the back to you for your first game in C#!

grekster    640
Thats a very cool game. Well done!!

Yeah get some better artwork and improve the flickering and itll be a great little game!

I got 182, I had to stop playing cause the flickering was hurting my eyes lol

DMINATOR    240
Thank's all your requests are taken in mind. But i can't change anything soon cause i don't have Visual studio .NET at home :(, just going to wait when my lectures at colledge start.

- About stoping snake when it reaches cursor , i can add this feature, it was orignally on, but it's kinda hard to move a big snake with cursor :)

Fergus    126
Neat game, couldn't beat your score, but I would suggest getting sharpdevelop at http://www.sharpdevelop.net/ to write .net code. Its free so you want have to wait till college resumes.

Queasy    157
hey, i didn't actually play your game (no .net framework installed) but i just wanted to say that i really like the graphics! and no i'm not being sarcastic. what caught my eye were the violets. it looks like ponds or highlights in water. didn't like the reds + happy face too much though, but...............

probably you did not spend much time on the graphs :)

-j

DMINATOR    240
Quote:
Original post by Queasy
hey, i didn't actually play your game (no .net framework installed) but i just wanted to say that i really like the graphics! and no i'm not being sarcastic. what caught my eye were the violets. it looks like ponds or highlights in water. didn't like the reds + happy face too much though, but...............

probably you did not spend much time on the graphs :)

-j

Thank's it was an abstract actually i am not desiner though :) But i think il make something better as soon as i get proper tools :)

DMINATOR    240
Quote:
Original post by Fergus
Neat game, couldn't beat your score, but I would suggest getting sharpdevelop at http://www.sharpdevelop.net/ to write .net code. Its free so you want have to wait till college resumes.

Sounds great going to look at it closer. Btw nice error -> Net Framework 1.1 was not found on the system :) ( I have 2.0 beta :) )

- Fixed Just installed 1.1 from microsoft :)

P.S. That was great import function and compiling was flawless, not a single line of code needes changing, and everything works great :) impressive :) So now i can modify my program at home , that's Great :)

[Edited by - DMINATOR on November 15, 2004 7:55:18 AM]

Arild Fines    968
Quote:
Original post by DMINATOR
But i can't change anything soon cause i don't have Visual studio .NET at home :(, just going to wait when my lectures at colledge start.

Why not just download VC# Express from here?

nagromo    676
Quote:
Original post by DMINATOR
Quote:
Original post by Fergus

Sounds great going to look at it closer. Btw nice error -> Net Framework 1.1 was not found on the system :) ( I have 2.0 beta :) )

- Fixed Just installed 1.1 from microsoft :)

P.S. That was great import function and compiling was flawless, not a single line of code needes changing, and everything works great :) impressive :) So now i can modify my program at home , that's Great :)

It uses the compiler built into the .Net framework; it should have exactly the same results as VS would. It's just an IDE and forms designer. The import converted the project file and any forms you had.

It's a nice environment, though; I use it.

Fergus    126

Sharpdevelop can use any version of the .Net including the 2.0 beta.

Go to: Project -> Project Options -> Configurations -> Release and/or Debug, and on the right side of the dialog there will be a drop done menu that you can use to choose the version of the .Net compiler. Mine is set to standard (I belive it just chooses the newest none-beta), but it does see the 2.0 compiler on my computer.

Fergus    126
The exe is big because of the resources packed in the exe. My guess is that SharpDevelop imported the graphics into the exe's resource area (although since your program still loads from the files it doesn't matter, its just wasted space). I ran the assembly browser from SharpDevelop and found the resource section of your program to be over 700k (so the program code is about 60k). I'd try posting at the SharpDevelop forums to see if someone knows how to clean out the resources (I don't know, I normally use DirectX).

(I also noticed in the assembly browser that you misspelled enemies as well (enemyes -> enemies))

Also, nice job with the improvements. The double buffering makes the game so much better! For a simple time waster, its pretty good (almost on par with freecell and jezzball). Keep up the good work.

DMINATOR    240
Quote:
Original post by Fergus
The exe is big because of the resources packed in the exe. My guess is that SharpDevelop imported the graphics into the exe's resource area (although since your program still loads from the files it doesn't matter, its just wasted space). I ran the assembly browser from SharpDevelop and found the resource section of your program to be over 700k (so the program code is about 60k). I'd try posting at the SharpDevelop forums to see if someone knows how to clean out the resources (I don't know, I normally use DirectX).

(I also noticed in the assembly browser that you misspelled enemies as well (enemyes -> enemies))

Also, nice job with the improvements. The double buffering makes the game so much better! For a simple time waster, its pretty good (almost on par with freecell and jezzball). Keep up the good work.

Yep thank's

The actual size of program in sharpdevelop is strange i had about 25 kb exe file with VisualC#

About enemies - yep my bad :).

Here are some quotes from code

//The background image
public static Image backImage;

//Creating structure for image
backImage = Image.FromFile("test.bmp");

//drawing it to offscreent buffer
offScreenDC.DrawImage(backImage,0,0,winWidth,winHeight);

//and destroying it after work
backImage.Dispose();

Sign in to follow this