Installing Linux from Windows

Started by
14 comments, last by Hedos 19 years, 5 months ago
Well, this computer definitly doesn't have a "standard lithium button" battery..
Is it possible to change a NiCd?
How would I recognize where it is in the first place? I have no idea what does it look like?
Advertisement
http://slackware.com/zipslack/

Unzip, reboot, boot.

And work from there.
I decided to install slackware..
After a lot of problems, it finally worked, yay I'm happy!

But now, another problem :/
I just tried to use the X Window GUI, by typing 'startx'..
It apparently crashed, there was only a blank screen, so I manually reseted my computer..
At the booting, I had a message saying that the hard drive hadn't been correctly unmounted, so it had to be scanned.
Once that was done, my computer rebooted again.
But now, the loading was different than before.. there were a few warning.. and my computer name had dissappeared and was replaced by "(none)"..
So now, when I'm logged in, I see this prompt for the shell:
root@(none):

Any idea what might have happened?
Will it have other consequences?
How can I fix it?

Thanks..

edit: Well, I found the "hostname" command.. But when I reboot, my hostname gets reset to "(none)"..
And here are some of the warnings I now have:
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 2M
/lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o.gz: init_module: No such device
/lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o.gz: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
/lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o.gz: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o.gz: init_module: No such device failed
/lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o.gz: agpgart failed scsi0: SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
Starting sysklogd daemons: /usr/sbin/syslogd /usr/sbin/klogd -c 3 -x
eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
eth1: error fetching interface information: Device not found
eth2: error fetching interface information: Device not found
eth3: error fetching interface information: Device not found
WARNING: NFS partitions found in /etc/fstab, but /etc/rc.d/rc.portmap is not executable. If you do not run portmap, NFS partitions will not mount properly. To start rpc.portmap at boot, change the permissions on /etc.rc.d/rc.portmal: chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.portmap

/usr/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

And there's a few other NFS messages.. but I don't have any "NFS" partitions, all my partitions are ext2.

And there's now this apache error, even though everything was working perfectly before I tried this 'startx' and did a manual reset :(

edit2: Just realized that the 'man' don't work anymore.
If I type, for example, "man ls", I have this error:
Error reading man page /usr/man/man1/ls.1.gz
No manual entry for ls

There's the same error for any 'man' I try..

[Edited by - Hedos on November 13, 2004 5:12:17 AM]
Quote:but I don't have any "NFS" partitions, all my partitions are ext2.

That's the problem. EXT2 does not have a journal, so a crash can do pretty heavy damage to the filesystem. I would recommend a reinstall and the use of EXT3 or even better ReiserFS.
Oh well, I think I'll follow your advice..
Well, I reinstalled in ReiserFS..
So far everything seem to work great :)
Thanks a lot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement