Hey guys im new to game development

Started by
27 comments, last by cplus programmer 19 years, 5 months ago
Sup fellow gamedev.net peeps, Hi guys i just recently decided i wanted to design and program games. At the moment i totally suck in this field but i have done website development including &#106avascript, html , flash (*Cough* This prolly aint of any importance *cough*). I would really like some fresh advice on how to start of ( Programs to use, tutorials etc..) No secrets about my age, i am 14!. Anyways my name is Nick i live in the Uk Many thanks Nick aka Nuclearsheep [Edited by - Nuclearsheep on November 8, 2004 5:55:12 PM]
Advertisement
I'm a fellow British n00b (aged 17).

Trust me, HTML, &#106avascript and Flash are NO use to you unless you want to write a website to publicise your game.<br><br>If you want to seriously get into game creation, you should learn the basics of C++, OpenGL/DirectX and maybe a little bit of Visual Basic if you want to start off with something simpler.<br><br>There's loads of good stuff here to get you started, but I'm at a very early stage myself. Hope this helps.
Thanks mate have been scrolling across the everlasting number of forums and been reading up alot on VB and C++ i will continue to look this up and Learn!

Anyways forgot to mention my favourite kind of games are Mmorpg's and fps's

Favourite games are

(1) Everquest
(2) Halflife
(3) UO
(4) Cs
(5) Ut2004
i´m nex here too BUT (big but) I dont have any c++ builder that would run under this stupid c**p i cant find anything...
if you know where feel free to tell me
(if you want)
aaa
Was just talking to a RL friend and he insisted i checked out

www.borland.com

Has c++ compilers and other programs
Hi and welcome!I'm new here myself but I think I might be able to help out in this area.

If you haven't checked already be sure to check out the beginners section of this site.Assuming that you have though a book to get you started would be.
C++ Programming for the Absolute Beginner.
By Dirk Henkemans and Mark Lee
They break it down pretty well so not only do you see what you should do you learn why you're doing it that way.

A good site you might want to check out is
[link]http://www.gametutorials.com[\link]
They have tutorials specifically tailored to people trying to learn how to make games.And the guys who run it are real good about explaining stuff.

Well good luck to you.
If it's any help, I'm using MS Visual C++ 6.0 Standard.
If you want to do games youre going to need C++ and either DirectX or OpenGL.

A good place to start is either the mentioned site (post above this one I think), or but this book:

http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/bookdetails.asp?productid=379

I have it myself and must say that it is very good for a beginner. It assumes you are using Dev-C++ instead of VC++ though, which is good cos most of U dont have that kinda money to shell out just to give it a shot!
__________Michael Dawson"IRC is just multiplayer notepad." - Reverend
Going to local *cheap* book store at weekend to get a few C++ books thanks for the advice mate convinced me to buy a book
Welcome :)

If I were you I'd take you e-mail address out of your post as (correct me if im wrong) it can be added to spam lists.

If you really want to do games there your probably at some point goin to need to learn C++ and an API such as DirectX or OpenGL. but its debateable whether you need to start with them. And remember to start small. You can dream about making a super 1337 MMORPG if you like but just remember its goin to be a while before you can make something like that for real.

Good luck and have fun:D
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement