Hey guys im new to game development

Started by
27 comments, last by cplus programmer 19 years, 5 months ago
Thanks guys i think ive got a good list of programs to get now =).

Now to get/use them haha
Advertisement
ya i just signed up too i would like to know about any programs that develop games
Hi,
The same I tell to my students.

a. Start by exploring some languages. Java, C++, Assembler.
b. Once you feel comfortable with the language get a goos programming environment like Netbeans (for Java) or VisualC++ (for C/C++).
c. Select your target platform. Its better if you focus in one platform (PC, Playstation, XBox, Palm, CellPhones) and become an expert on that environment.
d. Choose your graphics API (DirectX, OpenGL).
e. Start doing simple clones of games in order to build experience. But most important, make a COMPLETE game, from the start menu to the ending credits.

f. And the most important. Don't believe anyone telling you that this API is better than that other API or this language is better than that other language. This is all your personal choice. The more comfortable you feel with your choices, the better your games will be.

And above all... have fun. A project should be fun. But if you feel something is wrong. Stop and rethink it. Sometimes you must just kill a project before is born, but its better that way. And not everything is lost, you will learn a lot with each failure.

Luck!
Guimo

-start with assembley? I wouldnt recomend it. c++ is the standard for game programming.

b. Once you feel comfortable with the language get a goos programming environment like Netbeans (for Java) or VisualC++ (for C/C++).

-vc++? that sucks AND costs a ton of money, get dev-c++ (www.bloodshed.net)

c. Select your target platform. Its better if you focus in one platform (PC, Playstation, XBox, Palm, CellPhones) and become an expert on that environment.

-woa, for a beginer that isnt even an issue

-basic stuff 1st, I am starting sdl after 8 months of basic programming

e. Start doing simple clones of games in order to build experience. But most important, make a COMPLETE game, from the start menu to the ending credits.

-yet again, he isnt a advanced programmer, this would have ben no good to me 8 months ago.

I would sejust c++, if that is to hard do ruby (that is what I have been told).
there are 10 types of people in this world, those who can do bianary and those who cant.
I agree that he probably won't want to learn assembly, at least not yet, he should probably learn either C++, Java(which would probably be easier to learn than C++, and it lets you get into graphics programming quicker), or python(also easier than C++, but Java has some more libraries built-in)
Quote:Original post by cplus programmer

VC.NET is a lot better than Dev-C++ IMO. And the Standard edition only costs $100. Even better, a free command-line compiler from Microsoft. This is the compiler that comes with Visual C++ Professional edition.

Quote:

After you are comfortable with the language. Most newbies make a mistake by switching platform and inconsistent with the API they are using. He raises up a good point here.
First of all, I think learning C/C++ and then OpenGL and etc. library is necessary for game development.

However, in my opinion, you should not avoid using/learning Flash. I think Flash is very nice too for Rapid Game Development. Surely it will not be a nice tool for making large scale game like MMOG .. but as a beginner, it will quickly make you rewarded with something (e.g. a completed small game) , instead of digging very very deep into many difficult languages and library but nothing comes out finally ....

Raymond Pang Welcome visiting my projects site :http://www.raybase.com/

-start with assembley? I wouldnt recomend it. c++ is the standard for game programming.

-basic stuff 1st, I am starting sdl after 8 months of basic programming

-yet again, he isnt a advanced programmer, this would have ben no good to me 8 months ago.

I would sejust c++, if that is to hard do ruby (that is what I have been told).

VC++ is the defacto tool to use in the idustry, the Enterprise version may cost alot of money but you can get standard versions for cheap and if you go on e-bay you can get old licenses for very cheap.

Dev-C++ is great and all but if you want to become a pro you need to use the tools of the pro's. Also if you dont like VS then use Codewarrior another defacto tool.

And as i always say learn any language

\- Mike
when he gets there, fine; but I have never spent a penny on what I know now. vc++ is not a needed thing for a beginner, dev-c++ is. as java may be easier, c++ is the industry standard; dev-c++ is good ultil you want to make closed-source games.
there are 10 types of people in this world, those who can do bianary and those who cant.
when he geth there then fine, but I have never spent a pelly on what I know now. vc++ is not a needed thing for a beginner, dev-c++ is.

what langugae do you speakth?

"when he geth there fine" also whats a pelly. It says you were "born in the USA". (Had to do that) Dev-C++ is OK i used bloodshed once it was OK like i said. But, hell why not use a intellicode editor that are open source. LOL, this is where you can tell the M$ hatters from someone who has used technology. LMAO I use M$ stuff but i also use open-source and some OS to windows projects are coded from MS-DEV because it is better at finding problems with your program using its various macros like __inline().

I think Dev is ok but not great. I was able to get more done and understand what the hell was going on with Codewarrior or MS-DEV then Dev-C++.

hey if you really want to learn use GCC, emacs and BASH. That would be real fun

LMAO

- Mike

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement