opengl sound?

Started by
9 comments, last by alchemar 19 years, 5 months ago
I know that it has none, if I want to make a cross-platform game what should I use? (this is for future reference)
there are 10 types of people in this world, those who can do bianary and those who cant.
Advertisement
FMOD, OpenAL, SDL_mixer...
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
i use FMOD.. very easy, comes with plenty of examples and documentation... http://www.fmod.org and works on mulitple operating systems.
---------------------------------------------------Game Programming Resources, Tutorials, and Multimedia | Free Skyboxes
openAL with the Alut helper library makes 3d sound a breeze.
I second OpenAL
I agree with OpenAL, although I haven't personally used it. If you want to make money off your game at any point (or at least want the possibility to remain), I'd suggest avoiding FMOD. At $2000 for windows + $2000 for Mac, the licenses are a bit on the pricey side.

Of course, you can still download and use it without paying, you just can't sell anything that you make that uses it.
And this relates to OpenGL how exactly?

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

I fourth (third? Didn't read the whole post) OpenAL. I have used it before and it is great. It is really easy to use and it works without any problems. Not only that, it is feature rich.
-- I waz here --
Whoa, I didn't know that FMOD had such a steep licence. Thank god my sound code still is at a bare minimum. Is OpenAL free?
yep

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement