Mith, a question: Discrete Mathematics for Game Programmers?

Started by
10 comments, last by Mithrandir 19 years, 5 months ago
well i just ordered his book and i must say, it's actually understandable and easy to read. the size of the book had a little distraught but reading the first few chapters made me very happy. so i'm wondering Mr. Penton (aka Mithrandir) could you make a Discrete Mathematics for Game Programmers and make us all so so so happy?! thanks. edit: obviously the wrong word threw too many people off. [Edited by - Alpha_ProgDes on November 8, 2004 7:37:11 PM]

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
youre asking someone to write a book you just bought?

sorry i dont think its going to happen. there isnt much incentive to write a book that already exists. just buying the same book again is much more efficient.
Quote:Original post by Eelco
youre asking someone to write a book you just bought?

sorry i dont think its going to happen. there isnt much incentive to write a book that already exists. just buying the same book again is much more efficient.

Actually, Mith wrote a book called Data Structures for Game Programmers, which admittedly sounds similar to my uneducated mind, but may be different nonetheless from what Alpha is proposing. How? I cannot say.
"Sir, it is pie." - Mark TwainThe ArchWizard's site.
Perhaps by Discrete Structures he meant Discrete Mathematics?
---------------------------------------------------There are 10 kinds of people in the world:Those that understand binary, and those that dont...Mage
Quote:Original post by Mage2k
Perhaps by Discrete Structures he meant Discrete Mathematics?

actually i did. ++points for you. thanks.

For what its worth, the second course I took on Discrete Structures, was almost completely disjoint from the first.

The second Discrete course covered the various theoretical models of computation and the associated languages that they can parse/generate.

Among them were:

Deterministic Finite Automata (DFAs),
Non-Deterministic Finite Automata (NFAs),
Push Down Automata (PDAs),
and Turing Machines.

Now here are the associated links to articles that were written for GameDev:

Algorithmic Forays, Part 1 (Finite State Machines)

Algorithmit Forays, Part 2 (Finite State Machines and Regular Expressions)

Algorithmit Forays, Part 3 (NFAs and DFAs)

Algorithmit Forays, Part 4 (NFAs continued)

Algorithmit Forays, Part 5 (NFAs and Thompson's Construction)

Algorithmit Forays, Part 6 (NFA to DFA conversion)

All are recommended reading.
thanks Wily.

so i'm not crazy Discrete Structures == Discrete Mathematics!

in either case, i'll be checkin those soon.

Goto your local uni library. You'll probably find every math book you'll need for a while + 1. Or go to a pubilc library that's not on a uni campus and if they don't have the book they probably have the option to check it out from the uni library.
"I study differential and integral calculus in my spare time." -- Karl Marx
i think you miss the point of my post and maybe you haven't read Mith's book. the book is very easy to understand and is geared to game programmers, intermediate level but beginners should be able to pick it up as well. so that's why i "requested" a Discrete Structures/Mathematics from him. i'm hoping he'd write it in the same fashion. actually it doesn't have to be him particularly. it can be anyone, but since i have and read his book (and am quite satisfied) i queried him first.

In that case I highly recommend you DO NOT read Thomas Sudkamp's book, "Machines and languages".

It is 100% theories and proofs, and very hard to read. While I cannot recommend a book that would be easy to read (for this topic), I can say that the best way to learn this kind of stuff may be to google for class notes from various universities.

Admittedly, it is going to be a challenging subject no matter what. That is just the nature of Discrete Math/Structures.

Good Luck :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement