Sign in to follow this  
Normalocity

GameForum - "Where Game Design Lives"

Hello. First let me introduce myself as a new member. Normalocity is a very normal guy, as you can probably guess. I've been studying and practicing software engineering for over ten years, have always had a love of games from playing to creating, and I'm always looking for more information and great advice to hone my programming skills. To that end I've been a member on the JavaGaming.org forums for years (even before they became officially hosted by SUN). I've also started my own forums that focus exclusively on game design - that is, you won't find any pro-Java or pro-C or pro-anything on my forum site, because it's language and implementation agnostic. It's all about discussing the design of games from top to bottom, without the implementation details. It's open to the public, including the completely technically inexperienced, as it is intended to serve as a gathering place for all people with great game design ideas. Of course, what's the point of talking about game design without connecting people with the developers that can make it all come together? Well, there would be no point, except that I do direct people back to places like GameDev and IndieGamer to get their projects implemented, and hope to be a collaborate member of the online game developer community in general. Please stop on by, we'd love to have you. http://gameforum.game-host.org:8080/phpBB2/

Hi there!

I'm not trying to put you down or anything, I'm geniunly curious. So take this as a chance to show of.

What does your forum have over GameDev.net (yes, this page) own Game Design thread?

And a small tip: Anyone with a PHP enabled webspace or old computer with MySQL can have a phpBB2 forum. Renaming the folder and getting a own look would look a bit more professional.

Best of luck!
/JP

A perfectly reasonable question. :)

What GameForum has over GameDev, or IndieGamer, or JavaGaming.org is really a matter of opinion. Yes, there are threads for game deisgn on these sites, but GameForum is an entire site dedicated to game design - we don't discuss anything else. So there's a lot more depth to it, as the forums are organized to encourage detailed discussions on a per-genre basis.

As far as the look of the forums, indeed, there is some work to be done there, and I heartily agree that the image needs an overhaul. It's on my list of todo's, along with features such as audio posts and regular columns on game design (similar to a magazine).

Since we're brand new (only a couple of weeks old) I'm certainly willing to take criticism and questions on any aspect of the site.

As for the server issues you mentioned, I'm aware of the folder naming issue - I'm actually running it off of my own server, so I set it up that way myself.

Early next year, hopefully in January or February, we'll be making the move to a "real" hosting service. The URL is likely to change and all other issues will be worked out by then. Thanks for the tip - in a few short months our progress plan will take care of all of these things, including having our own domain, and hosting on port 80.

Just wanted to thank the members we've got already, and encourage more people to come. Our first of many monthly articles to come is up on the forums dicussing how a designer (non-programmer-type) might get about making their game idea into reality, which of course involves teaming up with programmer-types like the peeps here.

Given the content and lack of enthusiasm for a game design-dedicated forum (this ain't the only place people have asked "Why are you doing this, again?"), we're donig quite well.

Sign in to follow this