Sign in to follow this  
t-bill

where do i find programs to create games?

t-bill    122
i have been looking around for ever and i cant find a program to start making a game or anything at all so can any of you guys out there post some websites that give some programs.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Don't be silly. There is no 'hockey program to make hockey games'. You have to use Dark BASIC!

PnP Bios    494
heh heh heh.
Well, if you are going for rapid development, you can't go wrong with klick and play.
C++ is for serious 3d development, and can take a long time to learn. You are going to have to get close to the system.

Its a quality over speed issue.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Maybe try Verge out

www.verge-rpg.com

Despite the RPG name it's flexible enough to do other types of games too. Though the emphasis is on 2D roleplaying games.

apprentice    133
At the top of the web page should be a link labeled For Beginners under Resources. That should be a good place to look for information in general. For C++, you need a compiler. This is a program that converts your code into a program. Also, you might want to check out the Books section under Resources to see what good books there are about learning C++. One last thing, make sure you learn C++ first, then, when you know C++ , you can start thinking about where you want to go from there (maybe DirectX, OpenGl, or SDL, after you learn C++).

you wont jump into 3d graphics, I have been doing c++ for 8 months and I am working on a game of pong. you will be doing text stuff for a long time. while BASIC\game maker might be quicker to make a game, it wong get you anywhere in the world of real programming. if you cant do c++ (this was me) do ruby, I made the mistake of basic, I am STILL getting rid of messy code habits.

ekrax    128
t-bill remmember that coding / programming whatever you want to call it, is not in the least bit the same as a program that makes a game. c, c++, visualBasic, python, ruby, java etc are programming languages which dont have specific programs associated with them, they have compilers which are programs which (hence the name) compiles the code into something the computer can understand.

if you want to learn programming i suggest you start at visual basic and work your way up to c++.

if you are interested in making games but not neccaserly coding yet, than i would suggest checking out RPG Maker 2K3 (has some scripting support) and maybe even darkBasic which is sorta like scripting aswell.

yodaman    188
I started with web design and coding using html, javascript, etc. You would be suprised what can be done with javascript. Web design is deffentially a good skill to have anyway. After I did that for a while and got really got with javascript, I moved onto C++.

My advice: any language you choose, make sure you really know it before moving onto graphics programming and such. I remeber when I first started to make games. I didn't really know about templates at the time and when I found out about them, I went from feeling pretty clever to stupid. lol. Ive been coding in c++ for about 2-3 years and Im still learning new things about it all the time.

Also, if you wanna be a game programmer, make sure you really learn your maths.

Good luck and have fun!
-Jason

mxrss    133
Quote:
Original post by cplus programmer
you wont jump into 3d graphics, I have been doing c++ for 8 months and I am working on a game of pong. you will be doing text stuff for a long time. while BASIC\game maker might be quicker to make a game, it wong get you anywhere in the world of real programming. if you cant do c++ (this was me) do ruby, I made the mistake of basic, I am STILL getting rid of messy code habits.

you are right about 3d graphics. However, i feel you are wrong about basic. Most beginers should learn basic as it is realivly easy to get something up. And the purpose of it is to learn activly how to program. While you speak of bad codding habits is true in some counts it makes you a better programmer to use these and then find out they are bad. Using your logic of deduction makes you a good programmer math will aid you greatly and the most difficult of tasks will become simpler and easier to understand. I believe that begginers should learn procedural programming then work on thier way to objects and inheirtance. It takes a long time to just learn how to program and it depends if you live, breathe eat code. What most newbies fail to realize is that they think they can make the greatest game, because they have an idea. Ideas are great, but no one will pay you to just have an idea. You have to implement it and you have to figure out a way to use it. And you must see past the cynical behvior of people. Oh' Basic wont get you anywhere. Humm, would i rather spend all day trying to create MFC application or use what has already been done and create a VB app that does it just as good and create C/C++ dll's to do the LOW LEVEL stuff. Ay AY AY, most people dont care if you do it VB or C++ if you can do it you have more ambition and courage then a person who is still saying they could do it. Do it. If you want to be a hobbyist which game dev mainly consists of then learn any language. You can make a great game in any language and you to can learn to be a master programmer in any language. Once you know how to program you can port your coding style to any language.

So to the people that say BASIC is bad for begginers, i say how much experience do you really have on the subject. And rule one of programming is to use the tool that best suits the probelm.

- Mike

jack_1313    536
I’m going to quote myself from another thread:

Quote:

What you may in fact be looking for is Game Maker. It is a 2d game-producing tool that is flexible and supported by a huge community. There is an in-built programming language that allows the tool to adapt to your needs as you learn and advance. Game Maker is a very good introduction to game development. As a C++/DirectX programmer I give it the thumbs-up.

Hope this helps,
Jackson Allan