Sign in to follow this  
INSQ

World creation

INSQ    122
Hi, I am completely new to creating artificial worlds, is there anyone who can point me in the right direction? I’m not completely sure I’m in the right forum. Admittedly I am a complete noob in this area however I have a good level of programming knowledge (C, VB, Delphi). I am interested as to how I would go about producing an artificial environment for a few agents to wonder around in. I want the environment to affect the agents. I’ve had a look at NeHe is this the right path I’m taking? Has anyone got any ideas, suggestions? Thanks INSQ

Daivuk    413
Check Nehe for openGL programming.
Once your know ogl well, you can go into detail for creating a world or a 3ds loader ;) good luck

Schultz    140
NeHe will do a great job of teaching you OpenGL, as Daivuk pointed out. But openGL is all about drawing. If you want to make artificial worlds, you'll need a lot more knowledge than that. You need a system that tells opengl exactly what to draw, where a player can and can't move(collision detection). It's pretty complicated.

I recommend you check out Cube, an open source, free, rather simple FPS game. I've gotten much of my game programming knowledge from messing around with that sourcecode. Since it's rather simple(it's essentially a tile engine that pretends to do 3d, and does a pretty good job IMO), it's a lot easier to understand than something like quake. It can be downloaded from http://wouter.fov120.com/cube .

Good luck! :)