Loading a texture and loading a sprite using directx9

Started by
6 comments, last by Makoy 19 years, 5 months ago
hello! I would like to ask what's the difference between loading a texture and loading a sprite? thank you very much.
Flamers are worst than Newbies
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Makoy
hello! I would like to ask what's the difference between loading a texture and loading a sprite? thank you very much.

A sprite is an object, a texture is only an image attached to this object. DX can only draw 3d objects. a sprite is a rectangle and you can load a texture on it.

Shortly: You can't render a texture, you can only insert a texture on a sprite and render the sprite.

init()
{
D3DXCreateSprite( m_pd3dDevice, &m_pSprite );
D3DXCreateTextureFromFile(m_pd3dDevice, L"image.jpg", &m_pTexture);
}

render()
{
m_pSprite->Begin();
m_pSprite->Draw(m_pTexture, &r1, NULL, NULL, 0xFFFFFFFF);
m_pSprite->End();
}
A sprite is a Direct3D object that provides a set of interfaces to enable you to display 2D images. So it is a mechanism, a set of operations if you like. A texture is pure data that describes a 2D image.
------------------------See my games programming site at: www.toymaker.info
That clears my confusion thanks to tiger for the wonderful piece of code and to trip99! :) btw tiger, about the piece of code, should I insert it to winmain or should I call a new function to it?
about the piece of code, should I insert it to winmain or should I call a new function to it?

How you want :D
You must initialise them only 1 time, if you write a game it is better if you write a class.
Tiger54 Can I have an example code. Since I'm new to this whole sprite/texture thing I just need some good code to start with. thanks a lot!
Tiger54 Can I have an example code. Since I'm new to this whole sprite/texture thing I just need some good code to start with. thanks a lot!

file.h
#pragma once#ifndef CMAINFRAME_H#define CMAINFRAME_H#include "dxstdafx.h"class CMainFrame{protected:	IDirect3DTexture9* m_pTitleTexture;	ID3DXSprite* m_pTitleSprite;   	IDirect3DDevice9*	m_pd3dDevice;		public:	CMainFrame(IDirect3DDevice9*);	~CMainFrame() {}	void Render( void );	HRESULT RestoreDeviceObjects( void );	HRESULT InvalidateDeviceObjects(void);	HRESULT Release(void);};

file.cpp
#include "MainFrame.h"CMainFrame::CMainFrame(IDirect3DDevice9* pDevice){	m_pd3dDevice = pDevice;	m_pTitleSprite = NULL;	D3DSURFACE_DESC desc;	desc = *DXUTGetBackBufferSurfaceDesc();	D3DXCreateSprite( m_pd3dDevice, &m_pTitleSprite );	D3DXCreateTextureFromFile(m_pd3dDevice, L"sball.png", &m_pTitleTexture);}void CMainFrame::Render( void ){	const RECT r1 = {0,0,500,200};	m_pTitleSprite->Begin(D3DXSPRITE_ALPHABLEND);	m_pTitleSprite->Draw(m_pTitleTexture, &r1, NULL, NULL, 0xFFFFFFFF);	m_pTitleSprite->End();}HRESULT CMainFrame::RestoreDeviceObjects( void ){	if(m_pTitleSprite)		m_pTitleSprite->OnResetDevice();	return TRUE;}HRESULT CMainFrame::InvalidateDeviceObjects(void){	if( m_pTitleSprite )		m_pTitleSprite->OnLostDevice();	return TRUE;}HRESULT CMainFrame::Release(void){	SAFE_RELEASE( m_pTitleSprite);	SAFE_RELEASE( m_pTitleTexture );	return TRUE;}

Hope this is enough :D

Edited by Coder: Source tags instead of code tags

[Edited by - Coder on November 10, 2004 12:01:33 PM]
Remarkable! Thanks a lot tiger54 I owe you :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement