Sign in to follow this  
alisonrussell

Network Version of Tic Tac Toe Game using C++ and DirectX 9.0

alisonrussell    100
Hiya, I want to develop a 2 player network version of Tic Tac Toe using Microsoft Visual C++ (Visual Studio environment) and Direct X 9.0c. Server functionality: •The specification of a valid IP and port address on which the server will run •List all active game sessions being coordinated by the server •List all of the people within a game session (players and viewers) •List all connected players •The ability to remove players within game sessions •Display information on game players such as their profile and latency of the players network connection •The ability to transmit text messages to people within a game session •The ability to transmit text messages to all people connected to the server Client functionality: •The ability to list current game sessions on a game server: •The ability to create a new session of Tick Tack Toe •The ability to join a game session and: oWatch the game in progress oChallenge the winner •The ability to talk to other players within a game session by transmitting text messages •Players should be allowed to specify a player profile (name, IP address of their PC) •Of course the ability to play a game of tick tack toe with another player Any good books/tutuorial I can refer to? What about Visual C++ .NET is: Visual C++ .NET How to Program by Deitel, or Beginning C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson?? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Toolmaker    967
How much programming experience do you have? Are you already familair with C++ and DirectX? If so, you should jump into sockets to get the hang of them.

Johnnie's winsock tutorial is what I used to get started.

If you know how to program, start with sockets and making the lobby server. If you don't have any experience, learn proper C++ first, and then continue to write a console version of tic tac toe and then a single player Win32 version of it.

Toolmaker

alisonrussell    100
I am taking a module in Network Games Devlopment this year at university, and so have been learning C++ only since September. Just wondering if anyone knows of a tutorial specifically for a tic tac toe game as described?

Thanks.