Unexplained Performance Loss

Started by
4 comments, last by iMalc 19 years, 5 months ago
(This isn't another "SP2 sucks" thread, so please don't try to make it one) Hi. I've been having some performance problems with a program of mine since i installed Windows XP SP2. I boot the computer, i execute the program a few times and it gives me the expected performance, after a few times(less then 10) it starts losing performance up to 50%, the running time doubles. Now the program doesn't execute anything from stack, and even if it did DEP was turned off(AlwaysOff), i installed the proper Platform SDK SP2, and i know for a fact that there are no memory leaks, doesn't have any network code or graphics, just cpu intensive. Further, the exact same program with the Platform SDK SP2 but still without the Windows XP SP2, performed ok. Does any of you have any idea on what could be causing this? Could it be related with memory fragmentation? The program does take up more then 2Mgs. Could it be some kind of garbage collection Windows XP SP2 enabled? I'm lost here! Any help is appreciated. Thanks
"Follow the white rabbit."
Advertisement
You say you run it for up to 10 times and only then does performance degrade. Could it be CPU overheating because it is CPU intensive? That would explain why it takes a few attempts before it happens.
Only thing i can think of that you havent mentioned I am afraid.

Is it shutting down properly? Is something running in task manager thats eating CPU and causing your program to slow down? Is the hard drive light going nuts while its running?

I've noticed that occasionally windows will go crazy doing stuff with the hard drive, and this results in slowing everything down. When I alt-tab to task manager, idle process is showing like 99% so I don't know what it is other than windows being stupid.
DrEvil: I checked all that =/.

RunningInt: You might be right! =/
I'm on a laptop, and intense programs sometimes crashe the computer, for instance virus scanning, games. And since it's a P4(wich slows down when temperature is high), you might be right.

The relation with SP2 must be for the fact that SP2 makes the system a bit faster, and probably uses cpu cycles better, wich makes more heat. I'm guessing here, but it's a shot.

Thanks, i'm going to check it out.
"Follow the white rabbit."
Applications should *never* be able to crash your computer, no matter how intense. If they do, then you have a heat problem. If you have a heat problem, then you may see inexplicable failures caused by it. It sounds like your processor is slowing itself down to avoid overheating.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
I found that the new SP2 firewall slowed my computer down significantly, and have read that others elsewhere found the same thing. I've turned mine off as I'm behind a NAT anyway.

Might not explain your problem though.

btw, just a heads up... A4 tech mouse drivers do not work with SP2, you must uninstall it first, or you will bluescreen on startup after the update. Do not install them after SP2 either, same problem.
Sorry I digress...
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement