Strange/stupid error

Started by
8 comments, last by Gothmog 19 years, 5 months ago
I've encountered something very strange - when running my program i get an access violation in a very simple function in which something like this just couldn't happen. Take a look:

class SomeClass
{
private:
   char * str;

public:
   void SetString(char * s){str=s:}
   char * GetString(){return str;}
}

SomeClass sc;

sc.SetString("something");
sc.GetString();

I'ts impossible to have an acces violation in the GetString() function - and in some places of the program it works fine. So i wonder if it could be a compiler bug (I'm using VC++ 6.0)?
Advertisement
You need to allocate memory for the string and use memncpy to copy the contents. edit: also it should be const char* as the contents of the string cannot be modified.

Or, better, use std::string
As it stands right now, he's correct. Those functions alone won't introduce an access violation. Only if he tries to alter the value returned by GetString()
daerid@gmail.com
Quote:You need to allocate memory for the string and use memncpy to copy the contents. edit: also it should be const char* as the contents of the string cannot be modified.

Ehm, i get the access violation INSIDE the function, not when i try to do something with it's result, besides it should work either.
Quote:Original post by Gothmog
Quote:You need to allocate memory for the string and use memncpy to copy the contents. edit: also it should be const char* as the contents of the string cannot be modified.

Ehm, i get the access violation INSIDE the function, not when i try to do something with it's result, besides it should work either.

class SomeClass{private:   char * str;public:   void SetString(char * s){str=s:}   char * GetString(){return str;}};int main() {    SomeClass sc;    sc.SetString("something");    sc.GetString();    return 0;}

Are you telling me this crashes?

With something this simple, you need to show us the real code. It's not going to be a compiler error. Ahem.
I have two classes in which i get that error:

First, a loist template class, i get the error in the get_beginning() function.

template<class Type>class list{    ...     public:	class iterator	{	private:		_node<Type> * node;		bool error;	public:		iterator():node(NULL){}		iterator(_node<Type>*n):node(n),error(false){}                ...	};        ...    iterator get_beginning(){return iterator(base);}    ...    };

And the second, the error occurs in he GetString() func:

class GBFdata:public GBFfield{	friend class GBFfile;public:	GBFdataType GetType(){return type;}	int GetInt(){if(type!=T_INT){error=true;return 0;}return data.intv;}	byte GetByte(){if(type!=T_BYTE){error=true;return 0;}return data.bytev;}	DWORD GetDword(){if(type!=T_DWORD){error=true;return 0;}return data.dwordv;}	WORD GetWord(){if(type!=T_WORD){error=true;return 0;}return data.wordv;}	char GetChar(){if(type!=T_CHAR){error=true;return 0;}return data.bytev;}	float GetFloat(){if(type!=T_FLOAT){error=true;return 0.0f;}return data.floatv;}	char * GetString(){return data.stringv;}	uint32 GetDataBlockSize(){if(type!=T_DATA_BLOCK){error=true;return 0;}return data.dataBlockv.size;}	void * GetDataBlock(){if(type!=T_DATA_BLOCK){error=true;return NULL;}return data.dataBlockv.data;}	void Set(int v){type=T_INT;data.intv=v;}	void Set(byte v){type=T_BYTE;data.bytev=v;}	void Set(DWORD v){type=T_DWORD;data.dwordv=v;}	void Set(WORD v){type=T_WORD;data.wordv=v;}	void Set(char v){type=T_CHAR;data.charv=v;}	void Set(char* v){type=T_STRING;data.stringv=v;}	void Set(float v){type=T_FLOAT;data.floatv=v;}	void Set(uint32 s,void*v){type=T_DATA_BLOCK;data.dataBlockv.size=s;data.dataBlockv.data=v;}	void DeInit(){};private:	union	{		int intv;		byte bytev;		DWORD dwordv;		WORD wordv;		char charv;		float floatv;		char * stringv;		struct		{			uint32 size;			void * data;		}dataBlockv;	}data;	GBFdataType type;};
You'll get an access violation if "this == 0", ie: you called GetString on a null pointer to an object.
Yes, i know this, but this happens when i call the function directly from a object, using the "." operator so "this" should be valid.
What does the debugger say?
I get a debugger message: "Unhandled exception in GTestvc.exe: 0xC0000005: Access Violation." But i get only the asm listing of the function in the debugger's window and it looks like that

?get_beginning@?$list@U_path_list_entry@@@@QAE?AViterator@1@XZ:00404640   push        ebp00404641   mov         ebp,esp00404643   sub         esp,0Ch00404646   mov         dword ptr [ebp-0Ch],0CCCCCCCCh0040464D   mov         dword ptr [ebp-8],0CCCCCCCCh00404654   mov         dword ptr [ebp-4],0CCCCCCCCh0040465B   mov         dword ptr [ebp-0Ch],ecx0040465E   mov         eax,dword ptr [ebp-0Ch]00404661   mov         ecx,dword ptr [eax]00404663   push        ecx00404664   lea         ecx,[ebp-8]00404667   call        list&lt;_path_list_entry>::iterator::iterator (00404780)0040466C   mov         edx,dword ptr [eax]0040466E   mov         eax,dword ptr [eax+4]00404671   mov         ecx,dword ptr [ebp+8]00404674   mov         dword ptr [ecx],edx00404676   mov         dword ptr [ecx+4],eax00404679   mov         eax,dword ptr [ebp+8]0040467C   add         esp,0Ch0040467F   cmp         ebp,esp00404681   call        __chkesp (00410ab0)00404686   mov         esp,ebp00404688   pop         ebp00404689   ret         40040468C   int         30040468D   int         30040468E   int         30040468F   int         3

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement