Why do you want to ban gay marriage?

Started by
281 comments, last by Oluseyi 19 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by Max_Payne
Quote:Original post by MdLeadG
I find it irritating when people make arguments against a certain group of people, when they can find an infinitude of other situations that they get irritated by on a daily basis. Blaming homosexuality for your child getting beaten up at school is ignorance, plain and simple. Sorry, no offense meant.

There are other problems in society, sure. Doesn't make it less of a problem. And no, homosexuality isnt the reason homosexuals get beaten up, but well, if they were heterosexual, they would surely feel safer. There are some aspects on which everyone prefers to be *normal*.

I like the fact that I'm heterosexual. I'd like to have the guarantee that all girls are heterosexual. I'd like to have the guarantee that no guys are ever going to look at me in strange ways. When I have kids, I hope they will be heterosexual, and I hope their kids will be heterosexual as well.

Is there anything hateful in what I just said?

Not hateful, but that way of thought is dangerous. Basically, you want to eliminate all different qualities that exist among people and can make you feel unconfortable or make your life harder. Sorry, life isn't like that and I hope it will never be.
Advertisement
There are other problems in society, sure. Doesn't make it less of a problem. And no, homosexuality isnt the reason homosexuals get beaten up, but well, if they were heterosexual, they would surely feel safer. There are some aspects on which everyone prefers to be *normal*.

Normal, in this case meaning prejudiced. Yes, they would feel safer if they were hetero, but they're not. The society that they live in treats them abnormal. You're saying we should let society keep doing this?

Quote:I like the fact that I'm heterosexual. I'd like to have the guarantee that all girls are heterosexual. I'd like to have the guarantee that no guys are ever going to look at me in strange ways. When I have kids, I hope they will be heterosexual, and I hope their kids will be heterosexual as well.

I enjoy those gaurantees as well, but, I don't get my panites in a bunch when a guy "looks at me in strange ways". Ask women about guys looking at them in strange ways, 365 days a year. The fact is, most heterosexuals couldn't stand it if they had to "share their space" with homosexuals. Like you said, being inconvenienced not to assume people are straight is so hard. So hard.
Quote:Original post by MdLeadG
I find it irritating when people make arguments against a certain group of people, when they can find an infinitude of other situations that they get irritated by on a daily basis. Blaming homosexuality for your child getting beaten up at school is ignorance, plain and simple. Sorry, no offense meant.

I like the fact that I'm heterosexual. I'd like to have the guarantee that all girls are heterosexual. I'd like to have the guarantee that no guys are ever going to look at me in strange ways. When I have kids, I hope they will be heterosexual, and I hope their kids will be heterosexual as well. Why? Because it would make things much, much simpler for everyone.

If we could genetically prevent colorblindness, and you knew your kids are going to be colorblind, would you prevent it?

Is there anything hateful in what I just said?

Homosexuality and colorblindness are not comparable, IMO. Colorblindness has immediate negative consequences that don't need societal interaction to come about. Changing society is not going to be able to remove these problems with colorblindness. Homosexuality, however, derives most, if not all, of its negatives from the state of society at the time. Changing society can have a significant impact on the problems of homosexuality.

That said, I can't criticize you much for your views. You have the right to think them, and me being an ethical relativist and all, I don't really have much basis to call you wrong. But I'll just point out that I think it would be healthier for the overall human community to focus on changing selves rather than changing others. Thus, I'd rather learn to live with homosexuals peacefully than to "fix" them. Trying to change others all the time, in my experience, isn't really all that effective. Not nearly as effective as trying to change yourself, at least. (The irony is that it often seems as though I need to first change other people who currently want to change other people; change intolerance into tolerance. So I'll try not to be demanding here, but just state my views for you to consider. I can't blame you if you don't prefer them.)
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
Quote:Original post by MdLeadGThe ability to have kids in the normal way is not a prerequisite for marriage, nor should it be. There's no difference from a straight couple birthing a child, and a gay couple adopting. One would argue that the latter is more beneficial to this planet anyway.

In fact, it would certainly come in handy in Texas. Someone will need to take care of all the kids put up for adoption because a couple teenagers were taught sex-ed without any mention of condoms :)
Quote:Original post by cloudscapes
Quote:Original post by okonomiyaki
Edit: I forget to talk about government involvement. Well, from my point of view, church and state SHOULD be tightly integrated. And the church should definitely be a leader in your life.

With all due respect, I sincerely hope church and state will remain seperate (it isn't even enough yet).

If church and state are so tightly intagrated, then athiests (andfollowers of other forms of religion) will have a hard time taking the government seriously and will probably eventually emmigrate.

If church and state are seperate, then religious people will still have their church AND state, and athiests will have their state. Sounds like much better logic, to me anyways.

My 2 cents.

Indeed, and there is also another good, logical reason why the state and the church should be separate, which some, like okonomiyaki, may not have realized just yet... CHRISTIANITY ISN'T THE ONLY FREAKING RELIGION. And when it comes to integrating church and state, there's really only room for one religion.
Well, homosexuality is a bunch of trouble.

Scenario 1: You meet a girl, she becomes your friend, you begin to really like her, you love her. You want to announce her your love, she tells you she's a lesbian.

Scenario 2: You meet a girl, she becomes your friend, you begin to really like her, you love her. She becomes your girlfriend. Things seem to be doing ok, but not so well. She leaves you, and gets herself a girlfriend. You meet her later and she tells you that she never really liked men in fact, but just did it because she wanted to be accepted.

Scenario 3: A guy is in love with you, but he's quite aggressive. You are not interested, but he is very insisting. Rumors start spreading about this, and people question your sexual orientation. You make sure the guy knows you're not interested, but he becomes frustrated and humiliates you in public.

Scenario 4: You have a son, he's getting beaten at school everyday. You eventually learn that he's homosexual and has made the mistake of revealing it to a friend that turned out not to be such a good friend.

So lets get rid of homosexuality because: 1/2. A girl who you liked didn't like you back (Get used to it). 3/4. Society is immature and ignorant.

I'll ignore the former on the grounds of extreme ridiculousness, but as far as the latter goes, it seems you would rather just sweep the problem under the rug rather than solve it.

Maybe we should look into "fixing" black people too... if everyone was white, that would get rid of racism!

Quote:
I'm sure you can find infinitely many derivatives for these types of scenarios. No matter whether or not you tolerate homosexuals, at some point, it can be irritating, for several reasons. Its not ideal. If we can do away with it, why don't we? Homosexuality is just a divergence after all. I'm not going to call it an "anomaly", but it certainly isn't ideal.

Ignorance isn't ideal either, but I haven't seen a vote to ban that.
Scenario 1: You meet a girl, she becomes your friend, you begin to really like her, you love her. You want to announce her your love, she tells you she's a lesbian.

What if she was hetero and tells you you are definatelly not her type when you anounce? Same pain in your chest. Happens all the time. This scenario doesn't hold it's water.

Scenario 2: You meet a girl, she becomes your friend, you begin to really like her, you love her. She becomes your girlfriend. Things seem to be doing ok, but not so well. She leaves you, and gets herself a girlfriend. You meet her later and she tells you that she never really liked men in fact, but just did it because she wanted to be accepted.

This is exactly the same if she left you for another *man* and tells you she never liked *you* in the first place, but she did it for money or whatever. Sure it's wrong, but the overall situation isn't a gay-only scenario. Also holds no water.

Scenario 3: A guy is in love with you, but he's quite aggressive. You are not interested, but he is very insisting. Rumors start spreading about this, and people question your sexual orientation. You make sure the guy knows you're not interested, but he becomes frustrated and humiliates you in public.

Change guy for girl, or leave if you're a girl. There are agressive pursuers everywhere in the world. If it were a hetero scenario, rumours would still be wispered, only not about sexual orientation but about having a partner in the first place, which would be false. *shrug* Although "some" might consider it humiliating to think others think your gay. But still, I find it unlikely that serious rumours would start up unless you were actually giving in to some extent to his advances, but that's just me.

Scenario 4: You have a son, he's getting beaten at school everyday. You eventually learn that he's homosexual and has made the mistake of revealing it to a friend that turned out not to be such a good friend.

That's an unfortunate situation involving a so-called friend that would be completelly prevented if only people could accept gays as equal and educate their kids about the subject. We can't keep on covering up the issue and restrict gays because it will just lead to more hatred like this. It's a vicious circle.
__________________I have a computer!
Quote:Original post by mikeman
My team kept losing the championship for 8 years. When I was watching our opponents celebrate, I coudn't help but wish that I felt the same way. When I was seeing my friends being happy because their team had won and we were always the loosers, I was feeling like a freak.

Okay, maybe it's a bad analogy, but you catch my drift. You're not wishing you weren't gay, you just wishing that you could be gay without the difficulties that come with it. That is true for all "minorities". And really, finding a person to love is difficult for everyone. There may be many girls out there that I can hook up with, but only a few that I could really have an honest relationship.

I'm not saying heterosexuals don't experience similar things to what I mentioned earlier, I'm just saying I think it's worse for me. I really don't think you guys get it. You're acting as if we're in the same boat, and we're not. The pond you're fishing from has about 10 times more fish than mine. It is not the same thing.

And you seem to be totally forgetting the fact that I can't just assume that the people I like are gay. That is something you don't have to deal with. I'm searching for invisible people, you're not. And this is just a personal thing. I don't like guys that act like women. After all, I am[/] gay. If I were attracted to feminine guys, though, this would not be an issue, because feminine gay guys are pretty easy to pick out of a crowd. There are other reasons -- reasons that only apply to me -- that go along with this, but I don't feel going into it on a forum.

I hope this doesn't come across as me crying that being gay is the worst thing in the world or as though I'm looking for sympathy. As I said before, no one has ever given me problems because of my sexuality. The only person still trying to come to terms with it is myself. I'll get there eventually.
Quote:Original post by Schwowsers
And you seem to be totally forgetting the fact that I can't just assume that the people I like are gay. That is something you don't have to deal with. I'm searching for invisible people, you're not.

We all have this problem, tho. We have to search for the people we like, who aren't crazy, and who won't dismiss us from their lives simply because we want something besides friendship. Gay support communities are, in my experience, far richer than hetero support communities - I'm talking from first-hand observation, which you are free to accept or reject as you wish - and determining if someone is gay is a relatively smaller problem than determining if they like you. Yes, your pool is smaller in an absolute sense. No, your percentage chance of success isn't, at least not worse than those of us who aren't, for example, terrifically physically attractive.

To the OP, I think that in my country at least, everyone up to and including gay couples and common-law marriages have very similar rights and obligations and the word "marriage" is a substantial fight over an insubstantial issue - whose recognition do you want for your marriage? What rights are being denied due to not being allowed to "marry"?

I don't see the point of denying the inevitable pull of history at this point on the issue, but really it's costing an awful lot of time and money to get what is in most cases a one-phrase change in the legislation. What is the huge benefit? As one poster put it, roll everyone back to civil unions in the legislation. Only you can't do that, because the populace would lose their shit completely. What a fuck-up it is.
No Excuses
Quote:Original post by Frank Henry
Quote:Original post by 23yrold3yrold
Quote:Original post by 23yrold3yrold
Everything in the Bible applies to everyone; it doesn't go away because you don't believe in it. [wink] God created them man and woman. Go be married, no matter what your beliefs are. I've never met a Christian who had a problem with non-Christian heterosexual marriage, and I doubt I ever will. [smile]

So you can basicly force your views onto others because what you believe in is the rule for all?

Of course not. Learn to read and you'll realize I didn't say that.

Did you not say this?
Quote:]Original post by 23yrold3yrold
Everything in the Bible applies to everyone; it doesn't go away because you don't believe in it.

Everything in the Bible applies to everyone.. the rules, the regulations, the punishments...

But none of what I said has anything to do with forcing my views on you. I mean, I think gravity applies to everyone whether you believe in it or not. Does that mean I am personally forcing gravity on you? No. It means if you jump off a cliff, something's going to happen to you and you can't complain that being unable to fly (or even miss the ground) means I'm oppressing your rights. [smile]

Quote:]]Original post by 23yrold3yrold
Why don't you live your life like you choose and let everyone else live their lives as they choose.

Amazing. That sounds exactly like what I was doing.

Oh on the contrary. You said the contents of the Bible apply to everyone... pretty much telling people what applies to them is NOT what I would call letting people decide for themselves.

If it is THE law then there is no way around it... am I correct?

I never said there was a way around it (well, there is, but the gays crowd is moving in exactly the opposite direction). But yes, at the same time I can say I'm going to live my life like I choose and let everyone else live their lives as they choose.

On God being love: yes. But God isn't just love. You're oversimplifying it to a second grade level and make it sound like you can do whatever you want as long as it's based in love. Which is just silly.
Quote:Original post by liquiddark
Quote:Original post by Schwowsers
And you seem to be totally forgetting the fact that I can't just assume that the people I like are gay. That is something you don't have to deal with. I'm searching for invisible people, you're not.

We all have this problem, tho. We have to search for the people we like, who aren't crazy, and who won't dismiss us from their lives simply because we want something besides friendship.

We also can't assume all people are single. [sad]

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement