Sign in to follow this  
sunandshadow

critique this face

sunandshadow    7426
This is supposed to be an anime-style face for an effeminate male minor villain. His colorscheme will be very pale/white skin with pinto-like black patches, one eye will be blue and one will be black. Does anyone have any suggstions for improving the proportions of his face before I start coloring? I want him to look as pretty/handsome as possible, and I need his face to hint at his personality, which is a cold facade with flashes of anger, hope, and despair underneath. Lol tall order huh? Anyway, any suggestions will be appreciated.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
He looks handsome alright, that's like a perfect symmetry. It looks like you mirror it. Awsome skill.

He doesn't look evil though. Maybe drop the brow and add a smirk so he looks more evil.

For the eyes, the pupil should be alot smaller, to make him look more evil. Perhaps make the eyes have sharper corner as well.

Hase    313
I´m not really an anime person but this looks like it still has some ways to go. The eyes are huge, even from an anime point of view (especially since the massive pupils give the idea that his eyeballs would pretty much fill up his entire skull). I´d either go for something a bit more abstract (if you´re down along the anime road), or reduce the size of the eyes for a bit.

The eyebrows shouldn´t go all the way out to his temples. The nose and mouth are a bit too simplistic for my taste, they either need more detail on their own, or more expressive eyes. Right now the whole thing gives off a bit of a "grey" feel - huge eyes, no discernible expression on the facial features.

The shape and proportions are also a bit off, with so
much space used up by the face the forehead looks tiny. Also, the dent at the level of his eyes makes his face look like it´s swollen - usually there is a barely noticeable curve there, but no sharp angle. If you fix that and the forehead, the hairline will also seem much more natural (right now it collides with the eyebrows).

For the classical villain look I´d try and build some expression into the face, accentuate the eyebrows more, add some details. Maybe play a bit with perspective as well?

Boku San    428
Uhh...I just don't see the male in this one. If you're sticking with effeminate male, make the hair longer...straight hair, possibly covering part of one eye. I'd also make the ears more compact, and the nose wider (so he can breath) and smaller.

Maybe use a few boxes instead of contours for the jaw, and the neck is a bit too long, it looks. Also, maybe make the eyebrows comically wider?

I don't know, I may not have much (read: any) artistic ability, but...this guy doesn't look to man-ish. The eyes...are kindof hypnotic, but the eyelids (is that what they are?) are way too visible. Maybe you could pull the eyes into the skull a bit more, or shrink the eyelids?

Anway, it looks like you were going for something more like this:

EDIT: LOL, I said all those "fixes" before I found the picture and, putting them all into your picture, it comes out looking about the same. 'Cept I voted to make the ears smaller, not bigger. And yes, the character shown is a very, very bad guy.

choffstein    1090
My critique lies primarily with the eyes and features. Because of the lack of shadow, this drawing is eerily stereotypically alienesque. What I would recommend is the removal of the pointed chin...effeminate characters may not necessarily be square faced, but I have never, ever met a person whose chin was THAT pointed. I mean, its a freaking weapon!!

Also, there is kind of an awkward bulge between the forhead and the cheeks. I mean...if I met someone who looked like that, I wouldn't find them too scary. I might giggle at their awkward face.

The real thing that makes this so difficult to critique is the lack of detail. I dont mean that as an insult, but I mean...its like trying to critique my drawing of a sqare. What it looks like here is you have a nice basis to begin a real piece of work. What you need to do now is sit down and look at what is unrealistic, what is necessary for effect, and what you dont like. Then go for detail.

Also, long hair is an anime necessity ;)

Keep up the good work.

sunandshadow    7426
Oh, he is going to have long hair, I just didn't design his hair-style yet so I only sketched in his hairline. For the ther comments, thanks - whew, looks like I have a lot of work to do. o.O I'll attempt the next draft tomorrow.

Cosmic One    308
I'm not a big fan of the supremely angled eyes. They're good in their slenderness and all, but the overall shape should be much more level from the corner of one eye to the other. Other criticisms of mine have been mentioned, namely the ear and chin factor.

Colour update would be nice to see too, with the skin idea. Oh, and hair, we all like hair.

As ever,
**Cosmic**

prophetnite    134
Quote:
Original post by Peter Szabo Gabor
Not bad start at all, keep going!
I suggest: visit www.polykarbon.com , for anime tutorials.

I was going to suggest the same site. They have a lot of good resources you should take a look at.

sunandshadow    7426
Well, turned out to be 'next week' rather than 'tomorrow, but I finally got around t doing some more faces. Please tell me which aspects of which of these faces you like best. :) (Note that they don't have any hair or backs of their heads, only their face and hairline are sketched in. The final version will have long hair.)

bytecoder    100
Starting from the top-left and going clockwise:
1) The eyes look way too big, even for an anime girl. The shading on the cheeks looks ackward, and the ears look small and nubby. Her chin is also very sharp and wierd looking.
2) This is definitely one of the better ones. My only critique is that the eyebrows are too long and too thick on the inside part of the face.
3) I like her eyes, but her eyebrows look like worms. Everything else is fine except for the excessive shading under her mouth.
4) This guys face looks streched out horizontally. The neck should probably be wider, too. Other than that it's a pretty good face.
5) I'm not sure about this one. The line on her neck reaching down from her chin definitely needs to go, but I havent decided whether I like the pointed chin on this one or not.
Overall, this is a pretty nice batch of faces. Even if they aren't perfect, they're still a lot better than what I can draw :)

Herr_O    184
I agree with bytecoder. But I just hate mirrored faces - They ALWAYS look bad. So I'd scrap the first picture entirely :P or... Draw another flip side to the face.

The face becomes much more "flat" and uninteresting.

Cosmic One    308
The top center and far right ones are really good, I quite like the style. For the character you've set up, however, I don't believe the top center one suits. It's not really androgynous or effeminate looking. That said, I'd go with the far right side one.

As for critiques of them all, I'll go clockwise around as well.

1. I don't think the eyes are too big, but still too slanty. Those cheekbones should soften up... they look a bit like eyebrows in the middle of the face.

2. Nice style, hairline is a bit low, though. I like the expression in his eyes, I can never draw narrowed eyes well.

3. Very good, I find nothing wrong with it aside from the strange lines leading to the corner of his mouth. If that's part of the design then sobeit, just looks strange to me.

4. Umm, scrap this one. Eyes way too close together, he's got a pointy cone head, and his nose is... well I can't tell, but it looks strange.

5. Nice heart shaped face. Even though the nose looks a bit long, and the eyes are squarish, it looks good. Definitely very effeminate, I'd almost say this COULDN'T be male.

If this is a vote, mine goes for far right face. Good work =D.

As ever,
****Cosmic****

sunandshadow    7426
Sigh, my favorite is everybody else's least favorite, huh? Anyway today I was working on the body to go with this face:

The character is supposed to be a very slender guy, 5'8" but only 120 lbs.

[Edited by - sunandshadow on November 18, 2004 7:46:47 PM]

Hase    313
You still got some anatomy issues to take care of with the body. The torso is pretty messed up (the pectorals are way too high for example), which in turn screws up the pose (what´s he doing there?).

I think in order to get the anatomy right you need to study up a bit on muscle grouping and so forth - even for anime the anatomy needs to fit for the image to look right.
Also, use references - get a mirror into your drawing room, have someone model for you, etc... it´ll help a lot.

All in all it seems to me that you spend way too much time on getting the lines meticulously right, and too little time on overall shapes. Get a litte fuzzy, do a few sketches fist to see what works..

Regarding the faces, I'd say that I really like the original. From the second set, I think to two to the extreme left seem to fit well. The hair should help the feminine feel, so the bottom left face might overdo the effect. I like the large (wide) eyes and eyebrows, but the cheek shading on the top-left face is odd. Maybe a little more detail or shape to the ears, too.

Yaya for Skew!

uavfun    744
Quote:
Original post by sunandshadow
Sigh, my favorite is everybody else's least favorite, huh? Anyway today I was working on the body to go with this face:
(nice big drawing thingy)
The character is supposed to be a very slender guy, 5'8" but only 120 lbs.

The torso looks fairly muscular but the arms and legs are skinny, it doesn't match up well. And at that height and weight his ribs should not stick out that much imo.

Oh, and I really don't need to see his bulge.

sunandshadow    7426
uavfun - Oh yes you do need to see his bulge. Do you know how many headaches I have gotten from trying to design clothes that look 'right' on a 3-d model that is anatomically wrong? >.< A guy's package is essential to a finished character that looks attractive. Guys who draw male characters with blank crotches would be like if I drew female characters with no boobs - modesty or homophobia or whatever you want to call it has noplace in art.

everybody else - Huh, nobody replies to this thread for a week and now suddenly everyone is again? Well, ok. I'd like to point out that I have studied anatomy, but 1) it's hard to find good nude refrences for akinny guys, and 2) mentally I have never figured out how to translate from a realistic style to an anime style. What I would really love is an anime-style anatomical atlas of all the different body types, but such a book doesn't seem to exist.

Anyway, here's the next version of Skew. I'm pretty happy with his anatomy at this point, I'm going to move on to working on clothes, although I'll probably come back and revise everything as Iget a more solid idea of what he looks like.

Hase    313
pretty much the same as before... doesn´t look like you changed much.

1) Not necessary. The muscles are all the same, you just decrease the size a bit. At this point you´re probably equally well off with whatever reference you happen upon (fineart.sk has already been mentioned) since there´s still some fairly general issues to be taken care of.

2) Anime anatomy isn´t all that different from "regular" anatomy, there´s only a few different rules and acceptable ratios but pretty much everything is still there. You can have more slender and longer limbs, you can leave out some details and simplify a bit, but the basics stay the same.

edit: and something like this should be on your wall:

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/amcgann/body/muscular/muscular.jpg