critique this face

Started by
20 comments, last by Hase 19 years, 4 months ago
This is supposed to be an anime-style face for an effeminate male minor villain. His colorscheme will be very pale/white skin with pinto-like black patches, one eye will be blue and one will be black. Does anyone have any suggstions for improving the proportions of his face before I start coloring? I want him to look as pretty/handsome as possible, and I need his face to hint at his personality, which is a cold facade with flashes of anger, hope, and despair underneath. Lol tall order huh? Anyway, any suggestions will be appreciated.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
He looks handsome alright, that's like a perfect symmetry. It looks like you mirror it. Awsome skill.

He doesn't look evil though. Maybe drop the brow and add a smirk so he looks more evil.

For the eyes, the pupil should be alot smaller, to make him look more evil. Perhaps make the eyes have sharper corner as well.
I´m not really an anime person but this looks like it still has some ways to go. The eyes are huge, even from an anime point of view (especially since the massive pupils give the idea that his eyeballs would pretty much fill up his entire skull). I´d either go for something a bit more abstract (if you´re down along the anime road), or reduce the size of the eyes for a bit.

The eyebrows shouldn´t go all the way out to his temples. The nose and mouth are a bit too simplistic for my taste, they either need more detail on their own, or more expressive eyes. Right now the whole thing gives off a bit of a "grey" feel - huge eyes, no discernible expression on the facial features.

The shape and proportions are also a bit off, with so
much space used up by the face the forehead looks tiny. Also, the dent at the level of his eyes makes his face look like it´s swollen - usually there is a barely noticeable curve there, but no sharp angle. If you fix that and the forehead, the hairline will also seem much more natural (right now it collides with the eyebrows).

For the classical villain look I´d try and build some expression into the face, accentuate the eyebrows more, add some details. Maybe play a bit with perspective as well?
Uhh...I just don't see the male in this one. If you're sticking with effeminate male, make the hair longer...straight hair, possibly covering part of one eye. I'd also make the ears more compact, and the nose wider (so he can breath) and smaller.

Maybe use a few boxes instead of contours for the jaw, and the neck is a bit too long, it looks. Also, maybe make the eyebrows comically wider?

I don't know, I may not have much (read: any) artistic ability, but...this guy doesn't look to man-ish. The eyes...are kindof hypnotic, but the eyelids (is that what they are?) are way too visible. Maybe you could pull the eyes into the skull a bit more, or shrink the eyelids?

Anway, it looks like you were going for something more like this:

EDIT: LOL, I said all those "fixes" before I found the picture and, putting them all into your picture, it comes out looking about the same. 'Cept I voted to make the ears smaller, not bigger. And yes, the character shown is a very, very bad guy.
Things change.
My critique lies primarily with the eyes and features. Because of the lack of shadow, this drawing is eerily stereotypically alienesque. What I would recommend is the removal of the pointed chin...effeminate characters may not necessarily be square faced, but I have never, ever met a person whose chin was THAT pointed. I mean, its a freaking weapon!!

Also, there is kind of an awkward bulge between the forhead and the cheeks. I mean...if I met someone who looked like that, I wouldn't find them too scary. I might giggle at their awkward face.

The real thing that makes this so difficult to critique is the lack of detail. I dont mean that as an insult, but I mean...its like trying to critique my drawing of a sqare. What it looks like here is you have a nice basis to begin a real piece of work. What you need to do now is sit down and look at what is unrealistic, what is necessary for effect, and what you dont like. Then go for detail.

Also, long hair is an anime necessity ;)

Keep up the good work.
Oh, he is going to have long hair, I just didn't design his hair-style yet so I only sketched in his hairline. For the ther comments, thanks - whew, looks like I have a lot of work to do. o.O I'll attempt the next draft tomorrow.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Not bad start at all, keep going!
I suggest: visit www.polykarbon.com , for anime tutorials.

Signature:http://www.easternraider.comhttp://www.easternraider.com/gallery
I would lower the eyes.
I was just going to post "raise the top of the head, or lower the eyes" but the AP beat me to it.

Other than that, it's effeminate allright :-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
I'm not a big fan of the supremely angled eyes. They're good in their slenderness and all, but the overall shape should be much more level from the corner of one eye to the other. Other criticisms of mine have been mentioned, namely the ear and chin factor.

Colour update would be nice to see too, with the skin idea. Oh, and hair, we all like hair.

As ever,
**Cosmic**

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement