limiting acess to programs

Started by
19 comments, last by crazy_andy 19 years, 5 months ago
I want to write a program to limit how much people can use msn per day.(I have a very sad sister) I think the best way is to make a prog called msn which loads up msn if it has not been used for over a certain number of hours a day. I need however to know how to prevent acess to the original msn programme, without it affecting the program. I also need to kmow how to open a program using code. I hope that makes sence. I would greatly apreciate some ideas.
www.stickskate.com -> check it out, some gnarly stick skating movies
Advertisement
Well, I don't think you should bother yourself with your sister and her MSN habits, those things are up to your parents. If you think she has an MSN problem, talk to her and your parents, and don't work out a "solution" behind their back. In fact, you probably end up getting suspend (from the computer).

If you are persistant and are going to write the app, the only solution is to write an application that enumerates all running processes every 15 seconds and checks if certain applications are present. When these applications are running, you just terminate them.

Toolmaker

my mum wants me to do something. She is on it for about 8 hours on a school day. 15 on a weekend. every day. She won't listin to me or any one.

That idea is pretty good. Thanks, I will look it up on msdn.
Well, isn't your mom suppose to "enforce" her disissions(Like either taking away the keyboard or the entire computer)?

I'm not sure which Windows version you are using and if you have several user names.

If you're running Windows 2000 or XP, just disable her username OR change her password to something only you know.

Another solution would be(Only works if your file system is NTFS) is to change the permissions on the MSN folder for her user account to Deny(Deny overrules allow). However, this solution isn't waterthight since there are several webversion avaliable for MSN.

A last option I can think of is to install ZoneAlarm and disallow MSN to access the web. The workaround ofcourse is to disable ZoneAlarm.

As a last resort, you could write such an application, but the other solutions are much faster and easier to use. Also, if your sister finds out about your application, she might just disable/kill it. Or, write your own background running port blocker which only blocks the MSN ports(Which are documented somewhere).

Plenty solutions around!

Toolmaker

I only wont to limit her usaage, not completly ban it.

I have tried to research how to get a list of processes but, I can't find any examples.
Easily done in Visual Basic.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Quote:Original post by crazy_andy
She is on it for about 8 hours on a school day. 15 on a weekend. every day.

...Sounds like me... (cept i'm a guy, who programs and learns)
[smile]
---------------------------------------------------Game Programming Resources, Tutorials, and Multimedia | Free Skyboxes
I spend that much and more on my laptoop programming. But she doesn't know when to stop. I would like to use c++ as I am getting quite good at it know. IF any one knows any helpfull links, please post them.
Just steal the power cord for a couple weeks. You will have to live without the computer but after a couple weeks she wont have the urge to go on it anymore.
-Goten
Hmmm. Well I don't know how much your sister knows. But for my brother, i setup a transperant squid proxy that had time limits on it. If you have any spare machine laying around, you could probably do this.

As for programming. GL. Sounds like an interesting project.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement