What language features can't you live without?

Started by
70 comments, last by Mayrel 19 years, 5 months ago
In thinking about thinking about maybe doing a possible research project with languages, I've been trying to think of what, exactly, I'd be doing this research project on. Or more specificly, what specific things I'd like to find ways to fit together within a theoretical language. (getting rid of the "theoretical" part is a later worry.) So, I'd like to hear ideas about what people really really like with their favorite languages and what people really really hate about their umm... favorite languages. It can be pretty much anything. From little syntax quirks (for_each is an abomination in C++!) to syntax rules (Python's tabbed indented makes all code really easy to read and consistent!) to barely even related to the language (Perl's CPAN module system kicks ass!) And don't let my examples bias you. :) I'd rather hear things I don't expect to hear, so if you think C++'s for_each is pretty... Speak Up!
Advertisement
Flexible metaprogramming
Object properties
Function overloading
Operator overloading
Minimal runtime requirements (DLLs/size/etc)
RAD
Excellent tool support (debuggers/profilers)
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
Perl's regular expressions rule. In fact, everything about Perl rules. [grin]

The only thing I really dislike about the language is how some CPAN modules just don't work, or some require _tons_ of other modules.
Ra
My bad. Please also mention which language you're thinking of when you mention these features. Sorry. :)
A fully functional runtime environment like Java's runtime, Perl CPAN packages or .Net's CLR.

Infact, I find that .Net's CLR has alot of methods that I used to write over and over.

long live high level languages:)

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
C++ templating and the many great wonders that come from it
comments , obviously. Nobody can live without comments.

well, to balance things, what i hate about C++
1: Autoconversion of built-in types.(and all that problems that come from it, including if(a=b) )
2: float-->int via truncation, no standard way to convert float to integer with rounding, or like "ceil", or like "floor".
3: lack of modules
4: .h[ack]-files and as result, compilation is slower than it should be (don't tell me about precompiled headers - compating to REAL modules, it's just practical joke. It can never get to same performance because one header affect other headers)
5: i hate sintax of template parameter. < > it's "less than" and "greater than". It's not a good idea to use it for brackets.

Good things: Templates, template libs, OOP, etc.
Quote:Original post by Polymorphic OOP
C++ templating and the many great wonders that come from it

With probably a bit more intelligent compiling and syntax.

Anyways, my wishlist is pretty much just Python that compiles to native code with little to no runtime dependencies.
daerid@gmail.com
if statements. vb.
Real MetaProgramming (Lisp)
Object Orientation (C, C++, Lisp)
Eval/FunCall/Apply (Lisp, PHP)
Pointers & References & Values (C++)
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement