Sign in to follow this  
dogbert234

Question

dogbert234    122
Hi, The question I’m about to ask has probably been around here for many times, but I’d appreciate, if you’d answer it for me. The question is again quest to find the best book, for my case programming 3d games with direct x (8 would be best, but 9 is ok also) I can use C++, make win32 applications and know basic of direct x. I have read Todd Barrons books "Multiplayer Game Programming", that’s where all my Direct x knowledge comes from. I also have Jim Addams book "Programming Role Playing Games With Direct X", but I didn’t like that… I’m 14 years old and from none English country, so all these long explanations bore and sometimes confuse me (don’t get me wrong, English is almost as 2. Native language for me, I can understand it, but just reading all that hard worded stuff bores me out) What I mean is, that I’d like a book having more source codes and changes for discovering the algorithms myself rather than have every line of code commented out. When I read the books mentioned before I learned a lot about programming as general, but they didn’t help a lot with practical game development. If it is possible I would also like to have minimal introduction, so far all the books I have read or at least had a look at begin with at least 50 page long talk about history of game programming or programming as general, I really don’t need that. I had a look at books list at gamedev, read the user reviews, searched the forum, but didn’t find answer to my question, so I decided to post it. It is newbish question, but I still home someone will take time to answer it. Thanx in advance.

nerd_boy    720
'ello.

I find Andre' LaMothe's "Tricks of the Window Game Programming Gurus", and its sequel, "Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus" a lot of help. Although he does have a chapter or two on the history of games, etc., they are each 1,000 to 2,000 pages long. They use DirectX/Windows, but, especially in the 3D book, LaMothe explains how to make a software game engine, so what you learn doesn't necessarily apply to DirectX, but as long as you can plot a pixel, get input, etc., you should be able to implement an engine on another system. If you are looking to learn Direct3D, this book isn't for you. [smile]

I hope this helped.

Edit: While reading my post, I realized I made it sound(read) like the chapter or two where each 1,000 to 2,000 pages[lol]. They are not. It is the books that are 1,000+ pages. The chapter is only like 20 or 30.

GotenRulezU    100
Go to ANDYPIKE or GameTutorials or NEXE
I despise myself for dishing out all that money on different game programming with directx books. They were a waste of money. The online tutorials helped me more than any of the books I have and also these forums are a great place to find help when your stuck.
Good Luck,