• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Twiggy

Highschool student starting work on a project and seeking info, please help!

This topic is 5191 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is a little OT from the OP's question, but I just could'nt not respond to this:

Quote:
Original post by s_p_oneil
VB just plain sucks for this sort of thing.

Actually, VB would be able to handle such a project quite easily, and anyone who says otherwise simply isnt good enough at VB programming. I won't dispute that other languages are better suited to such projects, and definately for games more advanced than this, but VB can handle a Warcraft clone quite easily, by use of DirectX and Win32 API, as well as an avoidance of the built in controls and methods, which do tend to be quite slow and inefficient for many purposes.

This being said, I don't know that someone without a good knowledge of VB could learn to program in it well enough to get good performance within 6 months. If you're interested in learning to program well in VB6, a couple of good resources include:
Lucky's VB Gaming Tutorials (no longer maintained, tutorials are still there, and still good though).
VB Fibre
DirectX4VB

However, this is not the place for a language-war, so I'll leave it at that.

Advertisement
whether its iso or top-down, make sure to read all gamdev articles on the subject (or as many as you need. example iso map using sdl\opengl. the only reason i mention the latter is most rts games use made that way, and its fairly simple to create.

for tutorials on sdl itself, cone3d is an excellent resource. PnPBios will probably enter this discussion at some point, as he has some quality tutorials on his site.

also, vertexnormal's site (World of Golem) has some excellent iso and top-down tile tutorials (actually creating the tiles themselves). i've found them extremely useful.

cheers.

<edit :: gametutorials also has tutorials for c, c++, win32, opengl, directx, and networking.

I'm Just out of High School my self but have been programming for about 6-7 years already. My first game engine type thing(a 2d atari style tile map) was created in qbasic, I program in c++ now.

I've Played with win32 GDI, SDL and Directx etc... and its all up to the style you want to program with. SDL from what i've seen of it is a good starting block and there are some excellent tutorials linked off of libsdl.org and the SDL Guides have some good examples too.

but of all things the most important is sitting down and planning
if you dont know where you are going its hard to get there

and GoodLuck

Quote:
Original post by Kazgoroth
Actually, VB would be able to handle such a project quite easily, and anyone who says otherwise simply isnt good enough at VB programming.

It is true that I don't know VB very well, and I don't have any doubts that it could handle a project like this from a performance standpoint. You could probably write a game like this in a scripting language if you wanted to (many have SDL plugins). That statement came from discussions I've had with a friend who knew VB. I suppose it's not fair to use hearsay to make a statement like that. ;-)

Quote:

However, this is not the place for a language-war, so I'll leave it at that.

Amen to that.

On SDL:
I agree with most of the others: skip the Win32/DirectDraw route and just use SDL. If you are only going to have 2D graphics, that's a fine way to go and SDL takes care of all the windowing and input handling for you. There is no OS-specific interfacing to have to deal with.

Quote:
SDL uses OpenGL and textured quads(IIRC).

false

Quote:
But the point is, he doesn't have to spent alot of time setting up OGL, learning how to do quads, etc.

true ;-)

OpenGL piggybacks with SDL. You use SDL for the window and input and image loading functions, and use OpenGL for the actual graphics rendering. For 2D you just use the very very basics of OpenGL to render textured quads to the screen on a flat plane. No lights, shading, or any of that fancy jazz. Even though OpenGL is a essentially a 3D API, it works great for 2D and that's what I and many others are using for their personal projects. Besides that, the SDL+OpenGL combo is cross platform and free as well.

Now the bad news: Creating even a very simple RTS with AI is not doable by this May unless you have a whole team of hardworking folks hacking on this thing for several hours every single day. Especially if you plan to "learn C++ as you go". If it's just going to be you, you might want to scale back your project a bit.

If you are interested in AI (and it is very interesting), i would like to offer as a suggestion programming an interactive AI "demo". Not so much a full-fledged game, but still something graphical and interactive. I honestly do not think you could pull off a full fledged game by next May. A slick demo that doesn't require a serious UI, sound, resource management, start and end screens or any state changes at all, rules, networking, etc, etc, etc... would be possible. But you better be willing to work your butt off!

again, thanks to you all
i will greatly use the tutorials you've given me
thanx again

and leiova, about the AI issue.. i think you misunderstood me
i haven't meant some complicated human-intelligent game
just some basic pathfinding and the ability to play against the the PC. a very, VERY stupid pc. :)

So i think it won't be such a problem

you agree with me..?

Guys, I have another problem.
I have looked in www.libsdl.com (the main SDL site) for libraries that could help me with the project, such as Kyra,(which is a sprite library) and ParaGUI (which is a widgetset).

http://www.grinninglizard.com/kyra/
http://www.paragui.com

Unfortunately, these libraries are cross-platform, and compiled and ready only for linux. Due to the reason that I have no idea how to compile these stuff, and a friend of mine told me that it would take lots of time just to get them ready, I decided not to use them, just because they weren't put ready for use for WinXP. :(

The rest of the libraries on SDL that can help me aren't 100% ready and stable, so I can't use them since I'm afraid in the middle of my project hand-in the whole thing will crash and result in a low grade for me. :(

Do you know of any sites that could offer libraries using SDL that could help me? I prefer them compiled (Binaries, i think that word is) and ready, since I don't know how to get them ready. Please don't try to refer me to tutorials trying to explain me how to compile this stuff, I really am late in the proggramming schedule and i don't have time for this kind of stuff, I really have to start working on my project.. :(

Thank you

Guest Anonymous Poster
I have looked in www.libsdl.com (the main SDL site) for libraries that could help me with the project, such as Kyra,(which is a sprite library) and ParaGUI (which is a widgetset).

Unfortunately, these libraries are cross-platform, and compiled and ready only for linux. Due to the reason that I have no idea how to compile these stuff, and a friend of mine told me that it would take lots of time just to get them ready, I decided not to use them, just because they weren't put ready for use for WinXP. :(

The rest of the libraries on SDL that can help me aren't 100% ready and stable, so I can't use them since I'm afraid in the middle of my project hand-in the whole thing will crash and result in a low grade for me. :(

Do you know of any sites that could offer libraries using SDL that could help me? I prefer them compiled (Binaries, i think that word is) and ready, since I don't know how to get them ready. Please don't try to refer me to tutorials trying to explain me how to compile this stuff, I really am late in the proggramming schedule and i don't have time for this kind of stuff, I really have to start working on my project.. :(

Thank you

The rest of the libraries on www.libsdl.org that can help me aren't 100% ready and stable, so I can't use them since I'm afraid in the middle of my project hand-in the whole thing will crash and result in a low grade for me. :(

Thank you

When i was in High School umm 3 years ago, i was able to learn DirectDraw. Doing so i make a simple space shooter with sound, GUI, and animations. It was fun. But after that was done(took a while) I started to recreate that rendering engine of Mario 2 for NES. As time flied by i got busier and busier and i found that i was tring to make the impossible by my self in the amount of time i gave myself so i gave up. I hope you don't make the same mistake i did and i am glad there are thing like SDL that takes off the burden of learning win32api and directdraw. The main advice i can give you is don't set you hopes too high and try your best to complete what you started.

On a side not i think i might start learning this SDL stuff, never heard of it till now sounds NICE

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!