copyright?

Started by
4 comments, last by Fruny 19 years, 5 months ago
i have a question that i am pretty sure has come up before. what are the restrictions as far as copyrighting is concerned. i mean i see games out there that are based on things like lord of the rings and things of that nature. are these things legal? is there a legal to way to make a "mod" or game using things from movies or books?
"choices always were a problem for you......" Maynard James Keenan
Advertisement
If you mean by retail games based on lord of the rings then they are required to licence the copyright from the copyright holder. If you mean Mods developed using copyright material then it depends legally its a no no but it really depends if the copyright owner wants to sue you for stealing their property or not. I would recommend that you stay away from copyrighted material, the last thing you want is to be sued :) the only legal way to use this material is by asking the copyright owner, some may let you use the stuff if you're just making a mod but if its a fullprice game they will probably require you to licence it from them or they may just tell you to cease and disist.
I wouldn't worry about it unless you plan on making a profit. Keep it open-source too
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
yeah i was just wondering because i see warcraft 3 mods with lotr and other stuff. i see rpgs using the same tiles and character sprites as others as well. i was hoping to start a project with my buddy that was star wars based. we aerent going to use any of the "main" characters but set it in the new jedi order or something and make up from there. it will be totally free we arent looking to make money of it we simply want exp and a chance to work with something we both love. would this be something we could do?
"choices always were a problem for you......" Maynard James Keenan
The only way they would care about a project like that is if the game you create becomes a big hit, and they figure there is actually money to be made by taking you to court. Just doing something that you, or you and your friends, or 100 random people on the internet like but it doesn't really get farther than that, go right ahead.
--Eric BurnettI know I have mnemophobia, but I can't remember what it is.
Quote:Original post by rherm23
we aerent going to use any of the "main" characters but set it in the new jedi order or something and make up from there.

You can expect a cease-and-desist letter the instant 'they' find your project. You don't have just copyrights to worry about, but also trademarks.

Quote:it will be totally free we arent looking to make money of it we simply want exp and a chance to work with something we both love.

It doesn't matter.

Quote:would this be something we could do?

Instead of asking us, why don't you ask them?
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement