New: questions about java! please read

Started by
5 comments, last by GotenRulezU 19 years, 5 months ago
Hi guys, im new to programming. A few weeks ago I was asking people to make a game for me (for $$$), then I thought that I rather learn programming myself and spend the $$ on books and such. ~I want to make games like the ones on Yahoo. (the ones on the site not the downloadable ones) And a few people told me "Java" would be good for that. So I got a book "Java in Easy Steps" that teaches you the basics for Java programming. ~The programs that I am currently using are SDK 1.4 and JPadPro. ++++++Questions+++++++++++ -After I am done with this book, what do you guys suggest I do? Do you know any good Java "GAME" programming books? And the question i am really concerned about is "how do online games work."? I am think of a game where people go to my site, and log in, and just like yahoo, they choose a room and in that room they join or create tables to play at. I want to know how that works. Will Java do all that? And they way Im thinking is that people send me the Username they want, and they pay me and i make that username for them so they can log in and play. Now when they pay me, do i add their username to a certain list? please help me out here, thanx
Advertisement
Java can do all that. Throw in a relational database under and you're set. Once you've learned how to program, the other issues should be fairly obvious.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style

Hi dtank,

Good to see someone new to Java :)

Well, there are a few different steps you could take from your current position. I would recommend that you have an idea of the Java class Hierarchy. It helps to understand how certain member functions are called and where they are called from.

For your next step, I would recommend that you try out some Java2D (java.awt.*). It's nothing to advanced, but it can be quite a lot fun. Once you've mastered that, you could probaly attempt to tackle some JOGL or Java3D (personally not recommend; others might say otherwise).

Well, from what you've written you would be looking to write applets (classes that extend the JApplet class). Basically an applet is code that is able to be run within a browser.

There are some restrictions on applets, and one of them happens to be networking. If I recall, someone would be able to logon to your application, but your application could only communicate with the server that the code is hosted on (if that makes sense). I'm not exactly sure how you're wanting to implement all this, but just bear this in the back of your mind. It might not be relevant to you.

For saving usernames/passwords, I would recommend looking into storing information in databases (JDBC).

Anyone have anything else to say (I can't really remember the restrictions on applets...too late to look now:))

Later,

GCS584
pfft, java
If I were you, I would not get too ambitious in the "getting paid" area for a couple of years. Nobody's going to pay you for a Tetris clone, and frankly, you'll not be doing any better than that for a year at least.

But congratulations on avoiding the "OMG lol how do i maek a MMROPG" cliche, and welcome to the forums.
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
hey thanx for all the replys....

Im glad we have some nice people in these forums. Its really good that java can do all those things.

Ill just learn these basics then i guess those more complicated stuff wont seem so confusing like they do right now

as for "crucifixion's" post...idk..i was asking for some help and tips, not shit like that...

neways not to get off topic

and King of Men, thanx for the reply, i agree with the fact that no one will pay for the simple games that i will be making in the beginning, i was just wondering how those things work. Cas there might be something that I dont know about that might make me change my mind about learning java. I dont want to spend like 2-3 years learning java and then it turns out that it was a waste of time because i cant do some of the things that i thought i could do with java.

and i would REALLY appriciate a lil more detail on how multiplayer games work (like the card games on yahoo) ...i was talking to someone and they said something about static ip and some other stuff that i really didnt understand
Do internet research. Most every java book i've seen is very boring to read. Internet sources imho are a much easier read. Although I would recommend having a good reference book.
-Goten

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement