Sign in to follow this  
GotenRulezU

Interesting idea.

Every time someone on these boards asks for someone to give them an idea on what would be good to code they suggest a game. I just started working on a text editor and I think it is a very good way to start out with win32 programming. Just think of the possibilities. Try and make a better text editor than msword and all that. Implement new features that you've always thought would be a good idea. Heh well just thought i'd share my idea [smile] Plz dont kill me for not asking a question.

No worries dude!

It's good to share your ideas around. Perhaps writting down on a piece of paper when the idea came around would be a good practice.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to make something better than another existing application. I won't want to make a better warcraft III than the present version of warcraft III would I?

Rather I would stay, in your case, in the text editing genres and create something unique or from innovated ideas from existing text editors.

Better or not, the users will decide isn't it? No offence dude, but I think that writting an unique version of a text editor beats writting a better text editor than msword.

Don't you think there are enough text editors around? ^^ I can think of some great MS word alternatives. I'm not really into win32 programming (as I'm not using windows) but what about some cool code editor rather then a word processor? ^^ Maybe an IDE for gcc, python, php and the rest ;). Although there are a few around but as far as I know they could be waaaaaay better. Most of them lack language support.

Wish you good luck anyway

styx

I wouldn't know a thing about compiling code :)
EDIT: Yes I agree there are enough text editors out there. BUT it would be something good to start out on when learning win32. Also I don't aim to stay in windows I just plan to learn it enough to use it on simple applications:For example something to do math calculations for very complex problems. I see no need to go into ogl or dx for this :) We can just use good ole win32. After win32 I will move on to directx.(I know a bit about directx and everything but i'm waiting for higher maths for all of the 3d calculations) After directx I will move on to ogl. The reason for directx first is for some reason my computer does not want to use ogl lol. All of the libraries and includes are not found lol. I even did a search. Hmm also I like the idea of a unique text editor. Maybe it could also have a built in mp3 player. I know whenever I'm typing it helps to listen to music. Also something easier to look at than a plain window :) Well this is a very long post for a text editor so I'm gonna stop right about.....
THANKS, HERE!

You wouldn't actually be writing the compiler. You'd just be calling it from your code and feeding it input from your text window or whatever. That's what almost every IDE is -- they don't typically have a built-in compiler. Instead, they use an external compiler and capture its output to display it on screen or whatever.

Cool thanks for that bit. I did'nt know that :)
EDIT: Also another idea I have is an html code generator lol. Someone mentioned it before and it sounded like fun. They said it was possible. Also is it possible to output to a html file with like fopen and all that? Instead of a txt file could i specify .html?

Ive been trying to write my own graphical language for a while, something that even kids could get the concept of iteration\sequence and selection for later years but its hard as hell.........im thinking more of a game that codes small apps........