Sign in to follow this  
rajivtm

2D Animation Problem

rajivtm    122
I am new to DirectX 9 and C#, but I have been learning it over the past few months as I make a 2D game. There are still some things that are fuzzy for me, so I hope someone can help clear them up. My game works great until a few minutes into it when the bitmaps get all fuzzy and unreadable. Sorry I can't be more descriptive on how they look, but it just looks like they have been corrupted. There are a lot of animations in my game, and I think the problem is that each time I switch to a new frame of the animation, I create a new surface for the BitmapObject, which doesn't seem right to me. Is it? It seems like there should be a way to take my BitmapObject's Surface and just set the sourceBitmap. The only way I can figure out to do it is to make a new instantiation of the Surface with the next frame as the sourceBitmap. Is there a better way to do it? Please let me know if you need any more information from me. Thanks for any help you can give me!! Rajiv

Zook    134
Creating a new surface each frame doesn't sound like a good idea. You could have a pointer to a surface and just change what it's pointing to when you want to change frame. I don't know if that will solve this particular problem though.

rajivtm    122
That might work. So you're saying if the animation I use most often only has 6 frames, I could create 6 surfaces at the beginning of the game and just switch between them during the animation? Has anyone tried this before? Is there another alternative?

Quote:
...Has anyone tried this before?

Yes, this technique has been around since... well... computer animation =)

As far as alternatives, there are plenty. One such method would be to place several images into a single surface, and then only copy the section of the surface that contains the image for the current frame.