My Next Book?

Started by
5 comments, last by xyuri 19 years, 5 months ago
I have started devepoping in C++ a couple weeks back, reading the really good "Beginning C++ Game Programming" book. Now, I want to get into a little 3D, k, righto..... I have looked at the the DirectX and OpenGL books from the same series, of which the OpenGL one seems a little better written (based on user reviews). Now... I have moderate understanding of the C++ language itself but want to abstract a little into some 3D. I have found that the DirectX books tend to want to use "Visual C++" and the OpenGL ones dont seem to care that much, but I have been using Dev-C++ and would prefer to keep it (getting confirtable with it now). I am after something that will introduce me to the veeeeeeeery basic's of OpenGL (Maybe DirectX if you think it is easy enough) and really hold my hand in doing so, and I mean really hold my hand. I am fairly good with freebee online tutorials and examples. Any recommendations?
__________Michael Dawson"IRC is just multiplayer notepad." - Reverend
Advertisement
You could check www.gametutorials.com :) They have tutorials 'Talk to me like I'm a 3 year old!' and they are realy good and easy to understand.

And it's cheaper then buying a new book :)

A list of some cool books:

Beginning Direct 3D Game Programming, 2nd Edition
Introduction To 3D Game Programming With Directx 9.0
Real-Time Rendering Tricks And Techniques In DirectX (somewhat more advanced but really cool)

For OpenGL you could have a look at the Blue and Red book.

And how's your math? There are some really good books on math/game programming that could get you started :)
I recommend Kevin and Dave's OpenGL Game Programming book, which I found infinitely useful when I was learning. I also recommend the OpenGL Red Book, a free online version of which is available on the OpenGL website.

Don't forget to buy your books through the GameDev site to support your favourite game programming resource!
- CheeseMonger
it will take about a year to make a good 2d game, you cant do anything fast in c++, it takestime but it is the industry standard. I have been doing c++ for 8 months and I am working towards a pong game.
there are 10 types of people in this world, those who can do bianary and those who cant.
My favourite introductory book for Direct3D is Focus on 2D in Direct3D. It basically does what it says on the tin, but I found it a nice easy way into 3D stuff.
Quote:Original post by CheeseMonger
I recommend Kevin and Dave's OpenGL Game Programming book, which I found infinitely useful when I was learning.
Thanks for that. I'd recommend Beginning OpenGL Game Programming instead, though, since it's newer, cheaper, more correct, and covers most of the same information.
Thanks for all your guys suggestions :-) I think OpenGL sound better than DirectX for the reason that I am not using Visual C++.

I had a look at the red book and can remember seeing it in many places in book stores, although it seem to imply I have some knowlege of windows forms and whatnot, which i dont at all.

So what I might do it get familiar with windows forms through gametutorials.com and hopefully by then I would have some more knowlege and underatanding to help me chose which OpenGl book I would feel most comfortable starting with.

cplus programmer - I have been on it for around just over a month and have done most of a MineSweeper game and starting on a Tic Tac Toe which has some non-adaptive AI. Both are text based (console) games though.
__________Michael Dawson"IRC is just multiplayer notepad." - Reverend

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement