What does your experience say??

Started by
9 comments, last by hplus0603 19 years, 4 months ago
Hi all !! I know C++ upto a decent level and i wish to make a good industry standard 3D game. I have been working on directX and have made few 2D games. Then i have been studying some vector maths and stuff.I have made some small 3D programs (like rotating cubes) but am not 100% clear of all the mathematical transformations going on. So i am working on it. I wanted to have a vague idea of how long "should" one take to make a good 3D role playing game. Can u experienced people give me a vague figure in months or years :P bye thanx mishal
Advertisement
start with some more basic games. At the very least, make a 2D RPG first(probably should make something like a side-scroller before that, too)

If you have made a 2d RPG before, it'll probably take two or three years to make a 3D rpg, even longer if you want it to compete with the current ones. if it's MMO, it'll take longer still. Now, if your the only person on the team... well, I'm sure you recognized the pattern
thanx roboguy.

Actually there are 3 of us. One of us is studying the networking portion . Other has made a mario clone. And yes, we plan to make a MMO RPG game. We are working on it. Thanx a lot.

bye
mishal
A commercial grade MMOG will take many man-years (much of this will be art though). Just look at the credits for your favorite commercial game and realize that the people listed there worked every day for 2-3 years (more than 8 hours a day in many cases) to make it happen.
The natural response is "Oh god, not an MMORPG!", so just be aware that all the "experienced" coders, myself included are ver uneasy about it.

That being said, I'll try my best to answer your question.

I'm willing to suggest that a 3 man team can make an "ok" 3D MMORPG in 3 to 4 years with a crap load of dedication and free time. It has been done. Additionally you need to be good coders already.

So critically analize yourself. Are you really good programmers? If not, double that time estimate. Will you be able to dedicate most of your time to it? if not - double your estimate again. Now look at the time estimate. Can all of you stay very dedicated to that project for that time estimate?

[*note about being a "good programmer": I'd suggest that to be able to call yourselves good programmers for this project is if you've done something similar but much smaller - like a game that uses 3D and networking that isn't an MMORPG - perhaps online 3D checkers or something?]

Of course, you could reduce that time estimate significantly. First way would be to remove the "3D" side of things (perhaps convert it later). Make it 2D-tilebased (perhaps isometric), that will eaisly speed up development. Probably shave up to a year or so off, and make the artistic side of things much eaiser on yourselves.

Another good one is to not aim for an MMORPG at all. Aim for doing a small chat server for like 20 people, with tile based graphics and monsters. This would probably at least halve development time. It's also good, because you can start with the chat server and work in the graphics and then work in the gameplay (for anyone but an expert programmer, this slow work-up will make your project so much more likely to succeed, and if not, you will still have something to show for it).

Another way to cut down time is to become "good programmers" if you're not already (sounds like you're not just yet). You will learn much faster doing smaller projects than throwing yourself at a huge one. (see my note above on "good programmers"). Of course, this is because I said to double the time estimate if you're not a good programmer. The few months you spend on a quick practice, could save you years down the track (or a year or so if you try doing an MMORPG and give up after you start)

Anyway, as I said, it has been done, by someone on GameDev no less. It has also been tried by many who have failed. So make sure it's really what you want. Most people who say "oh yeah, we'll make an MMORPG" don't really want it enough to actually do it well (ie: they just thought it sounded cool at the time).

Best advice I can give you is to aim smaller at first. Online 3D checkers sounds like a really good idea for a first "practice run" project.

Good Luck [smile]
Andrew, It is really good comment.

I can add, that you should try to do it. You'll see all the problems of programming this type of games. Everybody says: 'you should make some small game previously...', you see - they know, why? - they've tried to do it.

As for me, I've decided what I'll do next (I'm a bit higher from your level of 3d programming in D3d) for improving my 3d graphics skills - I'll try to make demoscene. For improving program quality and getting necessary skills you should make 2d games !but you must create FINISHED project for starting doing something else.

After all, you'll be able to choose right steps to achieve the main goal.
Now that is what I call a generally nice and constructive answer. Could we somehow get an UBB shortcut or something which folds out as Andrew's complete post to post in any future MMORPG threads? :P
Thanx andrew and others for the suggestions. What i strongly get is that we should make a 2D rpg game first. What kind of game do u suggest for a start??

bye
mishal
I may not be as experienced as others here, but from what I have seen, gathering/producing resources takes a frustrating amount of time. These include models, sound effects (most difficult in my opinion), and textures. You can either get other people to get/make it for you, but if working alone, wait until the end for things like sound effects and music. Yeah there are many websites for free sound effects, but most have file names like "casting fire spell.wav" or "cannon shot.wav" but most sound like gibberish.

despite the time span, what matters most is getting it done.
Quote:Original post by Roboguy
start with some more basic games. At the very least, make a 2D RPG first(probably should make something like a side-scroller before that, too)

If you have made a 2d RPG before, it'll probably take two or three years to make a 3D rpg, even longer if you want it to compete with the current ones. if it's MMO, it'll take longer still. Now, if your the only person on the team... well, I'm sure you recognized the pattern

I made mine in 5 months.(Engine/tools included)
All ingame art was done by 2 others in 3 months.
This was my first game and when i started all i knew was making applications with rotating cubes using glRotatef(); I didnt understand matrices/quaternions/alpha testing and probably 90% of the things that made it into the game.

The trick is to stay committed to the project and know exactly what you want. Which is why i stayed away from implementing shadows and other cool features, my aim was to get a basic playable 3d rpg up and running ASAP.

I admit it was an extrememly small scaled project but programming wise, it was more or less done. The game could have been way longer with more polish if we had more time for the art.

An MMORPG on the other hand has the additional network code which is likely to be as if not more challenging then coding the rest of the game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement