Sign in to follow this  
Dark_Light

Making Lights Brighter

Dark_Light    100
Now forgive me for being dumb, I am new to direct X but not new to programming. And since using Direct X I have seen no obvious way of making light more or less intense. I have looked a few examples but none of them address light brightness. So can anyone point what I am missing, as this is getting really annoying. Thanks.

conman    181
You specify the brightness of a light by manipulating it's
RGB value: If it's a dark red it's (0.2, 0.0, 0.0), if it's a light strong red it's (1.0, 0.0, 0.0).

Was that what you meant with brightness?

-- constantin

Dave Hunt    4872
It's all about the intensity of the color of the light. So, if you're dealing with a white light, a color of (1.0f,1.0f,1.0f) would be much brighter than a color of (0.5f,0.5f,0.5f). Similarly, for a red light, a color of (1.0f,0.0f,0.0f) would be brighter than a color of (0.5f,0.0f,0.0f).

Also with your texture stages... if you use modulate, the texture can only get darker than it's original value. If you modulate2x, a light of 50% brightness has no effect on texture color, while a light at 100% brightness makes the texture twice as bright. This larger variation of brightness from light looks nice. Modulate4X is a bit overkill though.

Dark_Light    100
Cool thanks people.
Im not at home yet so i cant test it but that looks just right.

i am intrested to see how bright 1.0f will be, as the problem i have now is my lights are to dark.

Namethatnobodyelsetook: that sound like a handy hint. i will try that to.

(: