help?

Started by
4 comments, last by GBGames 19 years, 5 months ago
so i´ve got a dev c++ now so that is the end of my searching... i´d like to say thanks to everyone who helped me. THANKS! especially to my school mate ribi ./i hope that is his nick/ /AND i hope it will improove my rating/ but that isn´t importans now. my next / and i hope last/ problem is : 1.i´ve tryied to learn c++ on my own.i´ve found something to learn on a website.i´m slovak so i´ve looked /oh,if someone know where slovakia is or what it is:its a country in central europe./ for some tutorial in slovak but all the functions were slovak and now when i want make a program i dont know what to type cos i dont have these files /libaries,headfiles,.../ which were in slovak language./its bad to be foreighner/ AND now comes the harder part, my question: HOW A HELL SHOULD I MAKE PROGRAMS WHEN I DONT KNOW THE FUNCTIONS IN ENGLISH?....oh but that is not the question... so is there any way to look at these functions in these files?i mean to learn the functions from these files.how do i know what is the function in this file?....thanks 2.why is my rating so low?
aaa
Advertisement
You want to get function's description by it's source code? I think it is almost impossible (in *.lib and *.dll especially). You should use Microsoft_Software_Developers_Network-help (if VC), Software_Development_Kids or something like that.

Buy a book and forget about these stupid problems.
i am going to buy a book later...but i mean... c++ works something like this

you write:

#include <math.h> - and does it now mean that you can type in some math functions for example sqrt or something else...so i wanted to know how do i know what i can type in to make it work...
i mean for example : to make a simple program which would draw a simple rectangle or something...how do i do it...
aaa
Quote:Original post by RIPmenthoR
i am going to buy a book later...but i mean... c++ works something like this

you write:

#include <math.h> - and does it now mean that you can type in some math functions for example sqrt or something else...so i wanted to know how do i know what i can type in to make it work...
i mean for example : to make a simple program which would draw a simple rectangle or something...how do i do it...

Uhm... First - the header should be <cmath>, not <math.h>, if you're programming in C++.

Then - I also don't know all the functions in the header files and it doesn't limit me from programming. Just get a reference to same API you plan to use and use it to look up the functions you need. If you can speak English, you'll soon learn to guess the name of the function (you'll still have to look it up in the documentation, because you will not know the parameters to that function).

If you want to draw a rectangle - well - if you want to do it in pure Win32 API, then get some book or tutorial about GDI graphics, and you'll see mentioned function called Rectangle (I had to look it up right now [smile]).

If your problem is that the function names are in English - there are many foreign programmers (me including) who have no problems with it. And even if you were an English native speaker, it wouldn't help you much...

Oxyd
First, off-topic a bit: Your original post could have used a better description. "help?" doesn't tell me anything about it and the only reason I came here was because I like to point such things out to new forum users.

"Programming in English" might have been a better subject line, although I imagine it could be better.

Anyway, when it comes to the web, the unofficial language is English. I imagine that you can find a number of English language books on the subject, so if you understand English, you can learn.

I don't know the details, but I would imagine that C++ isn't something that gets ported to other languages. For example, read() shouldn't be legge() in an Italian environment. Correct me if I am wrong.

As for the headers, the C++ language has standard headers that all implementations should provide. What do those headers have in them isn't the question. You should ask, "I want to do X, Y, and Z. Which headers have functions that allow me to do them?"

If you really want to know the details of the headers, you can look them up. I am sure that you can find the source to them, and maybe a few books. The Standard Template Library has been written about extensively. But I don't think you want to learn it by finding out what possibilities exist for each header. Some of them are so complex that it is easier to just find out that you need #include <iostream> to use cout and cin, or #include <vector> to use vectors.

-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
Quote:Original post by RIPmenthoR

2.why is my rating so low?

Your rating is low because people rated you poorly. You can check the Control Panel and go to Misc, where Personal Rating is listed. It will list the different people who rated you. Perhaps people didn't like some of your older posts? I don't know if anyone is making extensive use of it, since it is still new to Gamedev, so I don't know how concerned you should be about it.
-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement