Sign in to follow this  
adampilks

Animation from markup language

adampilks    122
Hi all, I am currently working on a project involving the real-time animation of sign language (two handed fingerspelling). The main code will be written in c++ and will use openGL. I have made a bone structure in 3d Studio Max of a hand and I'm in the proccess of skinning in. However the requirement for the project is that the animation is driven by a markup language. I am new to 3d graphics programming and am confused as to how I can get an XML based script to animate the exported hand rig. Research into markup languages and animation has lead me to resources on the MPEG-4 standard and VRML, am I looking into the right stuff and how do they help? As you can probably tell I'm pretty confused, any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance Adam

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
It seems you don't really know what your project is about, and what you are supposed to do. That's the first required info you need before starting. Ask your client/employer!

It sounds as if the XML-script is to define the positions of fingers by which letters are formed, and that has nothing to do with 3D graphics programming specifically... or MPEG-4 or VRML for that matter. Then you can probably just interpolate positions between two hand-formations in order to calculate the actual animation. Carry out research into sign language so that you know all relevant aspects of both hand positions and movements...

adampilks    122
Thanks, and your right, I am struggling with a lot in this project. I'm new to C++, XML, 3d Studio Max and openGL, and so a project combining the lot has become somewhat of a headache. I'm pretty good at the sign language part so the finger positions aren't a problem.

I guess where I'm getting confused is in the linking of the different parts of the project. When researching the uses of markup languages to animate boned structured such as an avatar, all the data in the XML file refered to rotations and movements of bones. This however seems irrelevant in fingerspelling as all letters other than J and M are static signs and thus would be more easily defined by the finishing position/ rotation of the bones, and interpolating between the current state and that state.

My other main concern is how to export the bone structure from 3d studio max into the appropriate file type that will allow me to manipulate it in the necessary way. All previous work that I can find on the subject has been done using a dataglove to input the positions. I am aware that sometimes an export plugin needs to be coded to achieve this.

Is their a file type that i can export this hand rig as, that will allow me to set positions of all the bones and even contain constraints such as rotation constraints on certain bones?

cheers
Adam