• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Normal Mapping Cube map technic!

This topic is 4818 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all! i m currently using the cube map technique to render normal mapping... is there a other way to achive normal mapping witout a cube map? Thx

Advertisement
You can do normal-mapping with normal texturing and register-combiners (asuming you're using opengl)... Or am I getting you all wrong?

Yes i m using opengl... but the thing is... the cube map always using glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE1_ARB); so for mutitexturing we need to do a second pass... i read that the cube map gives a better detailed normal mapping... so does it worth the second pass?

THX

Quote:
Original post by golgoth
so does it worth the second pass?

I wouldn't say so, since a whole pass will take up alot of extra rendering-time...
But, try both and see what fits your needs best :)

OK, I haven't implemented normal maps so feel free to ignore me.

I'm guessing you're using the cube map just for normalisation, yes? If so, you could do it in a shader instead - maybe slower, but frees up that tex unit for you.

Is it worth normalising? Up to you - what does it look like?

It looks pretty good but takes a lot of cpu time... since i cant compare with none cube map method its hard to tell if it worth it or not... but it sure looks good! i ll work on one pass method and i ll post my results... upfully soon! it s quite a headheck... :)

THX

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement