Sign in to follow this  
DynaEmu

Questions about C#

DynaEmu    164
1. What is the pros/cons on C# 2. Is it good for 2D Game Development? 3. Is it good for 3D Game Development? 4. Does it have something like an FSTREAM? 5. What is the difference between Visual C# Express and Visual C#? Thanks for answering...

Alias2    122
Quote:
1. What is the pros/cons on C#

This is going to start a flame-war, try it out and decide for yourself.

Quote:
2. Is it good for 2D Game Development?

See the answer to #1.

Quote:
3. Is it good for 3D Game Development?

See the answer to #1.

Quote:
4. Does it have something like an FSTREAM?

System.IO.FileStream

Quote:
5. What is the difference between Visual C# Express and Visual C#?

There are multiple versions of the IDE:

- Visual C# Express is the free download for the beta. Note: This uses C# 2.0, which is still in Beta (and currently cannot be used with Managed DirectX).

- Visual C# 2003 is the previous version of the IDE, which uses the C# language version 1.1 and is the current supported verison (i.e. stable), works with Managed DirectX, but won't have all the new cool bells and whistles that the beta version has.

Monder    993
Quote:
This uses C# 2.0, which is still in Beta (and currently cannot be used with Managed DirectX).

Well I've had no trouble using MDX with the VS 2005.Net beta (Though I got a DVD of it from MS, prehaps it only doesn't work with the express editions).

Quote:
Well, what is Managed DirectX?

Well basically it's just DirectX (which if you don't know is a technology created by MS for creating games. It provides you with interfaces which you can use to the communicate with the hardware so instead of having to say code different input routines for every joystick on the market you just use the interface DirectInput (which is part of DX) provides, DirectGraphics (which is another part of DX) is for the graphical side of games. It handles communicating with the 3D hardware for you presenting you with a uniform interface) but Managed DirectX is used with managed code (i.e. something using .Net such as an app written in C#).

directrix    181
Quote:

- Visual C# Express is the free download for the beta. Note: This uses C# 2.0, which is still in Beta (and currently cannot be used with Managed DirectX).

The express beta works fine with MDX.

romainechester    122
Uhh.. I'm not from America or anywhere near there and I'm not always here in the forums so I just want to ask...
Quote:
This is going to start a flame-war

What does it mean to be "flamed"?? \:-(