Sign in to follow this  
KrIpToNiTe

Adding programming languages to web

KrIpToNiTe    122
Its like to create Web-based games... The thing is that, from my actual knowdlege, not all programming languages are usable for webpage based stuff. My question is: what language is recommended for web based games? ty >Cyaz<

Monder    993
I'm personally quite fond of PHP. It's a language created for web-based programming with a C-Like syntax it's pretty easy to use and many webhosts have support for it. You will also see something called MySQL mentioned along with PHP a lot. This is not actually part of PHP but a database application that is used a lot in conjunction with PHP, you would use MySQL to store data which you can then access with the mysql functions in PHP.

Then you've got Perl which I haven't really looked at much. In relation to webprogramming people may say using CGI when they really mean Perl. CGI or Common Gateway Interface is basically the thing used to interface Perl and a webserver, CGI is a completely different thing than Perl, but as CGI is generally used so Perl can be used for a web programming language people mix them up.

And of course there's ASP and ASP.Net which a thing MS came up with. ASP itself is not a language it's just a way to run scripts on a webserver (and it is what this website uses for it's server-side programming). VBScript is one language used a lot with ASP. ASP.Net is the evolution of ASP on to the .Net platform. You can use ASP.Net from any .Net language (VB.Net and C# being two popular examples).

Rob Loach    1504
You might want to check out the Web Dev Forums as well as its awesome FAQ. You could work with Flash if you just want to do little web Flash games. Other then that, I would recommend PHP. Everything you need to know about it is on its site. My site was done in primarily PHP and MySQL.