Need help - Suggest me a game engine for space game?

Started by
3 comments, last by McFester 19 years, 5 months ago
Hi. Can anybody recommend a game engine for a 3d space game? Here's a few descriptive lines: Only a few planets. Maximum upto 10, down to maybe only two. Both flight in atmosphere (in gravity) and in space (zero grav). Multiplayer support perhaps upto 30 players or so. Shooting at ships. I don't need a trading system and missions and I don't have high demands for graphics. A mod might be an option, but I don't know any games that would support this kind of mod? thx.
Advertisement
Unless you want to learn a ton about coding (which I'm guessing you don't), a mod is your only bet...even then you're going to have to learn a significant amount of programming. Mods I know next to nothing about though, so maybe someone on the boards knows about a mod-kit that can do what you're looking for.

If you're serious about game programming, start with Tetris. Work your way up from there.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I'm a programmer by profession... or was when I worked last time. hehe. So please don't hesitate to suggest solutions involving programming. I'm looking for the easy way out, to see if my idea make a fun game, so if the easy way appears to be a mod, then that's what I'll do (or try to do).
IRC, you can modify FreeLancer - You might want to check out LancersReacor for some modding info on the game. You can pick up a copy for £10 these days and it's a good game anyway, even if you don't want to mod it ;)
thx Evolutional. I'll have a look at mods for Freelancer. I DID like that game, even if it screewed up my sence of up / down (mouse invert) for a while. :-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement