Sign in to follow this  
domstyledesign

JOGL vs LWJGL vs ????

domstyledesign    100
so i want to write some platform independent ogl apps. however, i don't want to use glut, sdl, or the similar. i've got experience in java, and i heard about the ogl binding for java. i know that java is slower than c++ by nature... but the bottle neck for most 3d apps is at the gpu, right? since ogl is still being used for hardware accel... how bad will the speed difference be? has anyone done any benchmarks? personal experience? [Edited by - domstyledesign on November 11, 2004 12:03:25 AM]

domstyledesign    100
interesting... i read the intro and about pages... but why do you personally recommend lwjgl?

although LWJGL provides for more interaction with the user, JOGL is more official, so i'm leaning that way.

are there any other libraries i should consider? any arguments for/against JOGL or LWJGL?

Deranged    668
Always changing, i remember GL4Java, but they stopped devloping it, then JOGL was the mainstream, and now theres being a short transition to LWJGL for a lot of Java users.

OrangyTang    1298
Methinks you'll find LWJGL much more reliable and a much cleaner API to work with. After using both I'm sick and tired of Jogl's flaky reliability.

Incidentally, LWJGL has been around for about a year longer than Jogl, which is one of the reason why its more mature.

Pxtl    354
In any case, as I understand it they're both pretty close to native bindings, so you should be able to switch from one to the other. As I understand it though, Sun intends to build jOGL into the VM or related to it, so then you'd have an extra incentive: jOGL software would be "clean" (pure cross-platform) java.

domstyledesign    100
yes yes, good point. i think i will start with lwjgl, and as long as i wrote cleanly enough, transitioning to jogl if/when it becomes integrated into the vm (assuming i'm convinced to switch by that), shouldn't be a huge problem.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Don't think jogl will be part of the java runtime for many, many years. When it do you will have to wait until everyone upgraded to the latest java version. Who cares about "pure" java anyway. Lwjgl is only about 200k compressed, so it's not hurting your download size.

The biggest differance between jogl and lwjgl, is that jogl is integrated with awt. So if you need awt or Swing choose jogl, if not choose lwjgl.