Whats wrong here!*unanswerd*

Started by
12 comments, last by raptorstrike 19 years, 5 months ago
ok this is just getting me ticked i see no reason this code is malfunctioning but here it is

vector<Enemy*> V_Enemys;
string Enemy_List[0]= "Enemy_1.bmp";
const char* Enemy_List_C;
SDL_Surface* I_Enemy=NULL;
string Master_Enemy_Files[] = {"Enemy_One.txt"}; 
//later in code

for(int i=-1; i < One->Enemy_Vector.size(); i++)
         {
             Enemy_List_C = Enemy_List[0].c_str();
             I_Enemy = SDL_LoadBMP(Enemy_List_C);
             Enemy* New_Enemy = new Enemy(Master_Enemy_Files,50,50,&V_Enemys,0);
             delete New_Enemy;
            if(V_Enemys == NULL)
             {
                 asprintf(&msg,"enemy creation failed",SDL_GetError ());
              };    
            TempRectBlit(I_Enemy,screen,V_Enemys->R_Enemy);    
         }; 

thats the main file heres the Enemy constructor that is being called :

Enemy::Enemy(string File_Name[], int x, int y,vector<Enemy*> *V_Enemy,int NewID)
{
    this->ID = NewID;
    this->FileName = File_Name[ID].c_str();
    R_Enemy.x = x;
    R_Enemy.y = y;
    ifstream fin;
    this->Name = "";
    fin.open(FileName);
    getline(fin, Name);
    fin >> this->Life;
    getline(fin, Image);
    fin >> this->Weapon_ID; // index to an array;
    fin >> this->Speed;
    fin.close();
    V_Enemy->push_back(this);
};        

thanks edit oo gosh i do that alot heres your info error (runtime): Image isnt showed at coordinanths(50,50) as it should be it isnt showed at all, all other images are shown everything else works fine; c++ dev-cpp [Edited by - raptorstrike on November 10, 2004 8:58:49 PM]
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
Advertisement
What's the problem? What's the error? Where and when does it occur?
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
oo gosh i do that alot heres your info

error (runtime): Image isnt showed at coordinanths(50,50) as it should be it isnt showed at all, all other images are shown everything else works fine; c++ dev-cpp
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
You delete the Enemy right after creating it. You seem to be counting on a copy of it being made and added to the vector, but this is a bad idea in general. Constructors are just supposed to, well, construct the object. Anyway, you have a vector of Enemy *, which is probably a good idea, but after you delete Enemy, where do you suppose the pointer in the vector is pointing to? o_O
Quote: Enemy* New_Enemy = new Enemy(Master_Enemy_Files,50,50,&V_Enemys,0);
delete New_Enemy;

Right there, move the delete to when youre done with the newed object.
do one thing.just make a one function which cleanup the all sprites tht u saved in vector.and start from begin to end.and clean up tht sprite means enemy in urcase.i think it will help to u.try it out.may be u have to change ur code for some level but i think u will do this.

void CleanupSprites()
{
// Delete and remove the sprites in the sprite vector
vector<Sprite*>::iterator siSprite;
for (siSprite = m_vSprites.begin(); siSprite != m_vSprites.end(); siSprite++)
{
delete (*siSprite);
m_vSprites.erase(siSprite);
siSprite--;
}
}
Also, don't start that for loop with -1. This will read memory somewhere pretty random. Change that -1 to 0.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

deriving from the last post, you could change this:
for(int i=-1; i < One->Enemy_Vector.size(); i++)         {             Enemy_List_C = Enemy_List[0].c_str();             I_Enemy = SDL_LoadBMP(Enemy_List_C); .....

to this:
for(int i=0; i < One->Enemy_Vector.size(); i++)         {                          I_Enemy = SDL_LoadBMP(Enemy_List.c_str());.....

unless i missed something

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
deriving from the last post, you could change this:
..   Enemy_List_C = Enemy_List[0].c_str();..

to this:
..  I_Enemy = SDL_LoadBMP(Enemy_List.c_str());..

unless i missed something

Alpha, it doesn't look like that's what he wants to do. Enemy_List is an array of strings (containing only one string). It looks like he wants to load that same bmp multiple times.

raptorstrike, you don't need to load it every time in the loop. You can just load it once and use it multiple times (at least, it doesn't look to me like you require that many unique copies of it).

Also you don't need to pass the vector into your Enemy class. Just push it onto the vector in your loop.

You should also follow Endurion's comments about not starting at -1.

You don't seem to use One->Enemy_Vector anywhere; is your code correct? Your code doesn't look very well thought out.. :-)

cheers
sam
ok there is alot about my code that is diffrent and for right now is a little confusing like the whole [0] think in some of my arrays thats just their because zero is the ONLY part ive deffined really this will later turn into [rand()%X] were x is the # of elements in the array as far as the whole One->Enemy_Vector i thought i took it out but i guess not. Now i want a new object (Enemy*) to be created every loop when i < One->Respawn (yes respawn is > 0) but my problem is this
for(int i=0; i < One->Respawn; i++)         {             Enemy_List_C = Enemy_List[0].c_str();             I_Enemy = SDL_LoadBMP(Enemy_List_C);             Enemy* New_Enemy = new Enemy (Master_Enemy_Files,50,50,&V_Enemys,0);//when loop repeats wont this be over written then what will the pointer in the vector point to?             One->Respawn++;            if(V_Enemys == NULL)             {                 asprintf(&msg,"enemy creation failed",SDL_GetError ());              };                TempRectBlit(I_Enemy,screen,V_Enemys->R_Enemy);             }; 

as you can see ive fixed a few thing but i dont know what to do about the whole wild pointer thing. all i want is for a new object to be created and added to a vector when the loop is fufilled shoud i go ahead and make a function? also about the code it probibly makes less sience because its in fragments also when i do release the source it will be better looking and with more comments as of right now this is what i got

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement