Sign in to follow this  
MaximusCranius

Maya File Loader

Hello, what are the options for using maya files in a game? Are there any existing loaders? I would like to be able to use keyframed animations as well. I have read its easy to change to X, but I'd like to use OpenGL. Any input would be appreciated.

It's not really possible to directly load Maya scenes - the format isn't documented. You wouldn't really want to anyway since they contain all kinds of information that's not likely to be relevant to your application. The standard way of getting models from a DCC package to your application is to use an exporter plugin for the DCC that exports to some file format that your application can understand. Microsoft has a free .X file exporter plugin for Maya and Max. The file format is fairly well documented and it should be fairly easy to write your own loader if you want to use OpenGL rather than DirectX. There are numerous other documented file formats for which Maya exporters are available or you can write your own exporter (many games companies go for that option). There's no one clear choice of file format though, which one to go with (or whether to create your own) depends very much on the requirements of your application.