How much can I earn selling shareware game in internet? IMPORTANT!!!

Started by
9 comments, last by steelbugs 19 years, 5 months ago
How much can I earn selling shareware game in internet? I know people don't like answer this question. But answer is very important to me because I am a new in shareware game bussiness. And don't know anybody to ask. Actually, I and my friend are planing to create one simple but very playeable game to sell. We plan to spend 4 000 $ for creating that game. From profit from selling this game we plan to return our 4000$ and also buy 2 cars that costs 8000$ (for him and me). Is it possible?? (I think game will be one of the best in shareware game market). PLEASE HELP!!! I very like games and I just need car to travel to my girl :) (in my country cars are not so cheap as in USA because of car taxes). Thanks! (sorry for my English)
Advertisement
I'd suggest removing the 'IMPORTANT!!!' from the thread title, first off... I almost went 'meh, another hockey game newbie' based solely on that.

As for how much you can earn, it depends *hugely* on exactly how addictive and well-marketted your game is. PopCap seem to do OK with their games. There are bazillions of small shareware startups that don't.

Read this lots of times over.
Visit the sites specifically for shareware game authors, e.g. http://forums.indiegamer.com/ (dexterity migrated there), or the ASP (association of shareware professionals - membership required).

They have tonnes and tonnes of info on this stuff.

Dexterity used to have lots of quantitative estimates.

redmilamber
Quote:Original post by fractoid
PopCap seem to do OK with their games.

Popcap's revenues are measured in the tens of millions of dollars.

I know of two outfits who are expecting/aiming to make > $100m profit during 2005 out of online-distributed shareware (large companies who bought smaller pop-cap-like companies and are now pumping big bucks in).

redmilamber
Well, that rates as OK in my book... [wink]

In other news, it looks like redmilamber just got pwned by the forum cookie monster. :P
The chances of making that sort of money from your first title are very small. The shareware developers/publishers who do well all say the same thing - it took several years for them to build up to where they are now.

In addition there is a lot more involved than just making the game. You also need to sell it and there is a lot involved in doing that such as:
1. Creating a website that effectively sells your game.
2. Finding cheap but reliable hosting.
3. Search engine placement/optimisation so people find your site
4. Payment processing vs Merchant account
5. Marketing your game
6. Customer support
7. Piracy prevention

There is a lot more but that should be enough to think about. I too suggest you check out the ASP at http://www.asp-shareware.org/. It costs $100 but it is money very well spent. They have a newsgroup where memebers discuss the shareware business and there is lots of useful advise available.

Can't be bothered to log in.
It's impossible to say how much you make. Some people make practically nothing, others become filthy rich. You never know. You might not want to count on making a big profit your first time though, most shareware developers don't do that well with their first game. Also, it often takes time to start making a profit, so don't count on getting the money right away. I'd recommend staying low budget until you actually start making real money.
You haven't provided a whole lot of information to answer your question. The fact that you realize it takes money to make money is a huge plus in your favor. However, there are so many pieces to the puzzle, developing the game is only a small part of what you are up against...

Some key things to keep in mind.

1) You won't make any money selling just from your own website. You are going to have to research and develop a full web presence via various affiliate and resellers out there.

2) Make sure your game can support localization.

3) Look for a way into the retail channel. The easiest way is to get on a CD bundle.

4) Look for help. There are several companies out there that will help you resell your product. Some will want exclusive deals, some non-exclusive. Compare your options.

Overall, to have a chance to make $20K, you'll need to make the right decisions, as well as have a solid design and implementation. Many people try, not many succeed. Your odds are probably higher taking your $4K to the roulette table.

Good Luck
--Robert Costellowwww.playfulminds.com
To pull down $16,000 in a year, you'll need to bring in about $43/day in profit. If you use Plimus or Regnow or a similar service to handle the sales part, you'll need to sell an average of 3 games a day at $20/game. That's not at all impossible, but it's going to take a hell of a lot of marketing work to get it happening. Finishing the game itself will be the _easy_ part.

My own plans are to work on my own games in between freelance jobs. I believe I'll need to have 4-6 good games selling at 2 copies/day on average to support myself comfortably, and getting to that point will take two to three years. If after two years, I got nothing, then at least I tried :)
If you want people to read your thread, you probably shouldn't say "IMPORTANT!!!", it sounds newbie. I wouldn't spend $4,000 for a first game. Instead, start out small and build up from there. Companies usually don't make much money from first games. Unless your game is really good, you probably won't make that $4,000 back.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement