Sign in to follow this  
sforbes42

Visual Studio .NET 2003

Hi, I am getting a C2666 error when using an overloaded function in a class template I have written when I use a class pointer type as the data type for the template. Here is a portion of my template template <class DataType> class MArray { public: // Returns the item at the given index DataType& GetItem(int index); DataType& operator[](int index); }; Here is the class type class MState { private: // Some data public: // Some methods }; Here is the declaration and implementation: // Array of application states MArray<MState*> states(10); states[0] = NULL; If I call GetItem, everything is ok. If I used the overloaded operator[] I get the following error: d:\Home\Development\Games\Brew\mgamesdk\mstatemachine.cpp(34) : error C2666: 'MArray<DataType>::operator`[]'' : 2 overloads have similar conversions with [ DataType=MState * ] d:\Home\Development\Games\Brew\mgamesdk\ds\marray.h(54): could be 'MState &MArray<DataType>::operator [](const uint32) ' with [ DataType=MState * ] or 'built-in C++ operator[(MState ** , uint8)' while trying to match the argument list '(MStackA<DataType>, uint8)' with [ DataType=MState * ] Any ideas how I can solve this problem?

Quote:
Original post by Eriond
Try adding const DataType& operator[](int index) const; might help :)

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Unfortunately, that didn't work :( I haven't determined if this is a C++ problem or just a Visual Studio .NET problem.

Here's what MSDN has to say about the issue: clicky

MSDN should be one of the first places to check if you get an error which you don't fully understand, for a lot of the compiler errors they will have examples on how to fix them and also some situations which causes them.

Quote:
Original post by Spudder
Here's what MSDN has to say about the issue: clicky

MSDN should be one of the first places to check if you get an error which you don't fully understand, for a lot of the compiler errors they will have examples on how to fix them and also some situations which causes them.

Thanks! I do often check there, but more often than not, I either do not find what I am looking for, it what I am looking for is buried so deep, it takes a while to find it. A Google search led me here.

That particular article covered the general overloading of functions. However, my problem seems to be with the operator[], where I want value[index] = something. I've already tried casting everything, and it still doesn't seem to work.

I've tried

(TYPE*)value[index] = something
value[index] = (TYPE*)something
(TYPE*)value[index] = (TYPE*)something

Nothing has resulted in removing the error. It may have to do with the fact I am using pointers and not literal type values. I've not found any examples of people trying to have a template with an overloaded [] operator, returning a pointer to a type, but I'll keep searching.

Oh, if I overload the () operator it works perfectly. Something to do with the [] it doesn't like.

Thanks Again.

It's certainly possible, why don't you post the full code of your overloaded subscript operator?

Here's an example from my code.

// operator[] will only be enabled if the typex == typey == typez
template <typename X, typename Y, typename Z>
inline typename X &vec3<X, Y, Z>::operator[](size_t idx)
{
BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT((boost::mpl::and_<boost::is_same<X, Y>, boost::is_same<Y, Z> >::value));
assert(idx < 3);
return static_cast<X *>(&x)[idx];
}

template <typename X, typename Y, typename Z>
inline typename X const &vec3<X, Y, Z>::operator[](size_t idx) const
{
BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT((boost::mpl::and_<boost::is_same<X, Y>, boost::is_same<Y, Z> >::value));
assert(idx < 3);
return static_cast<X const*>(&x)[idx];
}

I have three different types because we deal with maps that are rather large and space is important. For instance, we may have geographic data that comes to us 4096km x 4096km, every pixel represents 100m, elevation values are floating point. So we would store as vec3<short, float, short>. That's irrelevant, just thought I'd answer before questions got posted leading this thread astray.

You probably made your array class also have an overloaded implicit conversion to a pointer to the element type IE a member such as:

operator DataType*()

Which may cause ambiguity when using the subscript operator on your type.

The problem is most likely that a literal "0" can mean a pointer NULL for any pointer, as well as an integer index, and even a float. You didn't post your entire class -- in fact, the case you posted, if compiled as-is, after fixing syntax errors, compiles just fine.

Chances are, you have more than one overload of operator[], and more than one of them accept something that the literal "0" can convert into.