how good can visual basic graphics get?

Started by
13 comments, last by jbadams 19 years, 5 months ago
ive been programing visual basic for a while even tho i took a break for a little while because in my high school programing class we do qbasic and at the end of the year we do visual basic and for the next years java and c++ but i wanted to know if i start to program games in visual basic how good can the grapics get? some screenshots would be great thanks in advanced
Advertisement
With Visual Basic, you have easy access to many different graphic libraries like BitBlt and even Direct3D. PlanetSourceCode is a good place for Visual Basic users.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
thx this site is good but doesnt have any sceenshots or say how good visual basic graphics can get
Get past the horrific 1996 style website and there's some useful stuff to be found here (even though it's a bit old).

There was a DirectX4VB site up but the link is dead :(
Short reply: As good as anything else.

It's more dependent on the library you use, and your knowledge of putting those libraries to good use, as well as the artistic skills needed. Some (likely a very few) algorithms may not be quite as efficient as writing them in C or assembly, but this is usually a non-issue, for a variety of reasons that have been discussed numerous times here already.

Also, are you intending to use VB.NET, or older versions of VB? From what I've heard, newer iterations of VB don't have nearly the efficiency problems that older versions had. And besides, many times the inefficiencies of VB are caused by VB itself, but by inexperience of a programmer.

If you're wanting experience so that you can jump in the industry, I'd recommend not just sticking exclusively with one language. Especially become at least somewhat familiar with C/C++. If you're doing this more as a hobby, I'd say to just go ahead and stick with VB. It'll work fine.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
Visual Basic .NET can use Managed DirectX, which supports all the same DirectX9 features that Far Cry and Half-Life 2 use.
Thus, the graphics in Visual Basic .NET can get as good as your artists are, as far as screen shots go.

Now, Visual Basic is not the fastest runtime around (although the CLR actually makes it reasonable). Thus, if you implemented all the same algorithms used in Doom III for shading, shadowing, skinning, etc, I'd expect the CPU to have to work significantly harder, and thus your frame rates would be lower than what you see in Doom III.

Whether this is a problem is up to you. Maybe you're much more productive in a known environment such as VB, than you would be in an unknown environment such as C++. Maybe actually finishing an actual game is more important than having a high frame rate in a game that never gets completed. If that's true, then maybe you should stick with Visual Basic.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
There's a games list, with links to screenshots, of games developed in VB at:
www.vbgamer.com
http://216.5.163.53/DirectX4VB/Index.asp

its not dead.

http://www.truevision3d.com/home.php
Hi
every body agree with the idea that VB is slower than VC++ or C or even Delphi.
But When you have DirectX (7 and 8) and imagination, you can realize some good Graphic application.

I have made a simple 3D engine in VB that can perform at very fast speed several good graphic effects:
i have upload a SDK with 51 tutorials that deal with all the aspects of this Engine.

If you want to see what VB and DirectX 8 can perform go at NemoX 3D Engine website

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/malakoff/index.htm

Polaris
Round, one , fight!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement