Sign in to follow this  
danromeo

STILL confused about textures...anyone know of a ground-up tutorial?

Hiya, thanks for reading this. Surpisingly, I'm getting the results I need when I work with textures, but it's still a hunt-and-poke, paste-this-code-in-and-see-if-it-works process. Questions posted to this forum always yield great answers, but I want to understand this stuff from top to bottom (without spending any money :) ). Can somebody point me in the direction of a good, thorough, comprehensive tutorial or series of tutorials on the subject? Thanks a lot.

In DX, just check the Tutorials in the SDK. If you follow them in order, you will learn lots of things.

Luck!
Guimo

Good point, Guimo. I HAVE reviewed the MS examples, and I DID learn a lot of stuff. But I'm looking for some good solid explanations of how the stuff works (alpha blending, texture stage states, etc.) to gain a solid understanding on a theoretical level...mainly to cut down on experimentation and speed up the coding process.

You shouldn't read only the tutorials. There is many many documentation about this in the SDK docs. There is a complete description of texture stages, samplers, and everything, as far as I can remember.
Check this one:
Programming guide / Fixed function pipeline / Textures / Texture belnding. (you will find other texture related docs here)
Also check the functions SetTextureStageState, SetSamplerState and maybe SetRenderState.

Hope this helps,
kp