Sign in to follow this  
dawidjoubert

Quake 3 style collision and fine slidding

Hi ive been checking around and i got Nathon Ostgards tutorials on collision detection on bsp maps quake style the thing is that i need a way to climb stairs smoothly instead of jumping that 5 units everytime its close to a step. I considered a proxy Boundingbox (Larger than collision bounding box) and then determining how far the collision is from the true AABB and then thus just adding to its height Any suggestions or help would be great. Dawid joubert

One recommendation: check out the Quake 2 source code. I'm not sure where in the code it handles stairs, though (it might take some work to find it).

Also, the Doom 3 sdk comes with the physics code, so you might look in the 'player physics' class. I haven't looked at that part yet, though, and I'm guessing it uses a more sophisticated method in keeping with the rest of the physics engine.

And I second eelco's suggestion of the (axis-aligned) ellipsoid/triangle approach. Check out Kasper Fauerby's paper 'Improved Collision Detection and Response' for code and a description of the algorithm.