Sign in to follow this  

3d studio maxScript exporting: normals problem. Pls Help!

This topic is 4782 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'm writing my own 3d exporter for 3d studio (as in topic ;]). A have one problem. I need to have normal for each vertex in each Face As far as now I found that i can export normals for indexed vertices or for each face, but that is not enought. Problem comes when I want to export cube and model with smooth shading in the same time. I have to choose between per vertex or per face normal. The ideal solution is to have normal for each vertex for each face (like texture coord). After sitting few days i didn't find any resonable solution. I guess I have to make some interpolation, but i want to be sure. Pleas help!;].

Found fairly easily in the maxscript reference.
Quote:
getNormal <mesh> <vert_index_integer>

Returns the normal at the indexed vertex’s position as a point3. The normal is based on the faces that use the vertex and the smoothing groups assigned to those faces.

This topic is 4782 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.